Search for content in message boards

Surviving Ejectment Books - Also eviction letter re Co. Clare

Replies: 75

Co. Clare Heritage and Genealogical Centre -- LDS (Mormon) Family History Centers -- Grenham book

Posted: 24 Oct 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 11:38AM GMT
Hi Kevin,

It would be wonderful if you go to Dublin, or ask someone to do a look-up for you and send you the material, as I think this person, John St. Laurence (St. Lawrence) must be connected to your Co. Clare, Ogonnelloe family! No doubt, there would be much information you could glean from the old records in the National Library of Ireland and the Genealogic Office, etc. You have the advantage of knowing quite a bit about the location of your ancestors.

Evidently, they were able to survive the ordeal of ejectment. Where did you family immigrate to, the USA? Give us a few details, as it might help someone else.

Per "Irish Roots," article:

Ennis Sessions, Tuesday, March 26th, 1833
Case #5
Extract from County Clare Ejectment Book 1D 40 21.

Consider purchasing John Greham's wonderful book, "Tracing Your Irish Ancestors," (new ed. just out), Genealogic Publishing Co., or locate a slightly older edition in a library. It contains several pages devoted just to Co. Clare resources, and many chapters on general Irish records.

Have you tried the Co. Clare Heritage Center, Church St. Corofin, Co. Clare? They do searches of specific records as well as full searches. They are open Mon-Fri. 9-5:30.

Contact person is Antoinette O'Brien: Tele 065 6837955. http://clare.irishroots.net/

Have you tried the microfilmed Co. Clare records at the LDS (Mormon) Family History Center; they have many old census and census substitutes and rental (to be viewed at the FHC) is only $3.75 per film. They also have microfiched IGI birth/christening/marriage records pertaining to the 1860s, (some earlier, some later), on site (free) in their catalogue card drawers under "British Isles," subheading "Ireland." There should be 1-4 little black squares of fiche for Co. Clare. If you use the fiche, have the FHC volunteer place the largest magnifying lens into the microfiche reader for easy viewing; you can make photocopies right at the machine.

My informational posts are a "labor of love." Thank you for your comments. I posted some ideas for research at this location:

http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/qindex.html

Look for General Ireland Queries at the top of the index, click on "Deeds," scroll down through the Co. Mayo Landowner List until you find my recent post "Ideas for Research."

Jean
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jeanrice 13 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Larry Brennan 17 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
jeanrice 22 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
jeanrice 22 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Kevin McKenna 22 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
jeanrice 24 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Kevin McKenna 25 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
jeanrice 25 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
flynnke 25 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Kevin McKenna 25 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT