Search for content in message boards

Scattery Island families

Replies: 86

Re: Scattery Island families

Posted: 8 Aug 2009 3:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Poor Gene, its such a dissapointment to travel so far and not get to get on the island, at least you had decent weather though ! The boat was my cousins wifes brother who lives in Kilrush, it was a speed boat, it took only 5 mins to get there, he visits the island all the time and has done since he was a child, but was quite suprised to hear new stories about its history from me (such a clever clogs haha).

The books I have are Inhabitants of Scattery Island by Senan Scanlan, and the other one Memories of an Islander A Life on Scattery and Beyond by Don Scanlan, interestingly these two Scanlans are from the same family. Pages of the book from Senan are on the clare library site, the book is amazing, shows all of my family trees, and quotes at meetings made by my GGgrandfather when he was working for the Limerick Harbour com. (JOhn Harris), he sent me the book after I had finished this line of research, which was a bit of a shock, but good to check against.

There was a Brennan death the week before I arrived in Kilrush, Martin Brennan who lived in Cappa, did you know him? I was due to meet him on my visit but found out before I got there, very sad.

Carol
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
midnirdr1 4 Jul 2011 3:21AM GMT 
pjculligan20 5 Jul 2011 6:16AM GMT 
midnirdr1 6 Jul 2011 12:34AM GMT 
midnirdr1 5 Oct 2012 11:52PM GMT 
nickipower 7 Sep 2012 5:53PM GMT 
sanderscaro1 8 Aug 2009 6:07PM GMT 
EugeneVer 8 Aug 2009 7:20PM GMT 
sanderscaro1 8 Aug 2009 9:27PM GMT 
EugeneVer 9 Aug 2009 3:19AM GMT 
nickipower 7 Sep 2012 5:50PM GMT