Search for content in message boards

John QUIGLEY son of Malachy QUIGLEY

Replies: 13

Re: John QUIGLEY son of Malachy QUIGLEY

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you, is it PJ? I appreciate your kind reply. :)

Irish records are new to me. Since the Tithe Applotment books only record head of household, can you tell me whether there is typically any other information contained in the full record (I've only seen the index entry) which can confirm whether this Malachy QUIGLY or QUIGLEY is actualy mine, rather than some other Malachy QUIGLEY? For example, son John's marriage record says Malachy is a stonemason. Would a detail like that be included?

I've noticed other researchers think John does have a brother, Thomas, but I've yet to learn why they believe this. Perhaps you've just explained. John's son, John Philip, was born in York, Yorkshire, England in 1853, so John wouldn't have been around for the Griffith Valuation in Ireland 1855.

Would seeing the complete record of each, Tithe Applotment and Griffith Valuation allow me to determine whether it's the exact same plot of land in both accountings?

I'll definitely look into the film and census records you suggest. I can only assume that the famine had something to do with John leaving Ireland. I've done some reading about it and understand that County Clare was particularly hard-hit, not only in the level of starvation the people suffered but also in the number of families forcibly evicted from their homes by the land owners. I have seen some "eviction lists" online, but found no Malachy QUIGLEY among those listed.

Thank you again so much!

Debra
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Stargaz3r 10 Apr 2012 4:52PM GMT 
pjculligan_1 10 Apr 2012 8:51PM GMT 
Stargaz3r 10 Apr 2012 9:58PM GMT 
NJUSACARRIG 11 Apr 2012 1:45AM GMT 
Stargaz3r 11 Apr 2012 3:35PM GMT 
NJUSACARRIG 11 Apr 2012 4:12PM GMT 
pjculligan_1 11 Apr 2012 6:33PM GMT 
Stargaz3r 11 Apr 2012 6:45PM GMT 
Stargaz3r 6 Sep 2013 6:25AM GMT