Search for content in message boards

Michael Joseph Kelley son of Bridget Gill and Daniel Kelley, Clarecastle, Ireland

Replies: 1

Re: Michael Joseph Kelley son of Bridget Gill and Daniel Kelley, Clarecastle, Ireland

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 7:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Co. Clare does not belong to a Irish History Foundation as almost all other counties do. The County must have a genealogy office. Civil Registration does not start till 1864. Ancestry.com does have RC Parish records for Ireland but not sure if for Co. Clare.

Also the Latter Day Saints have some records prior to 1864. Go to their website
www.familysearch.org
instead of using the civil registration search scroll down the left side the page to UK/Ireland, click on this, then
again scroll down to Ireland.
These parish records were obtained from the National Library in Dublin many years ago. The National Library
has these on microfilm.

In 1855 Clare under went the Griffith Valuation, this is just before the birth of your Michael Kelley.
www.askaboutireland.ie
There are 10 Daniel Kelly's living in 6 Parish's. However, none are in the Union of Ennis (a 12 mi. radius)

This maybe an explanation of why there is no Daniel Kelly not in Griffith Valuation.
One of the merchants at Castleclare built his own settlement for his employees. He was a believer in having his men paid well to encourate them to stay in the settlement rather
than walking several miles a day to work and home.
These folks would not show in the Griffith Valuation as they would not be on their own property. They would not
own the property they lived it would be leased. All land at that time belong to the aristocracy from England since Cromwellian times. Sir Lucius O'Briene appears to be the
Nobility at the time. A description by Lewis Topographical in 1837 reports the town had 101 people living in abject proverty. Then the famine came "The Great Hunger" and in December 7th. 1846 due to an incident of a overseer who was killed on December 5th. and because of this, 900 person were kicked out of the relief works (workhouse) at Clare Abbey.

Clarecastle is about 3km from Ennis and located on an Island in the Fergus River at its lowest navigable
point. In 1815 a quay was built and this became the port for Ennis. 1830 there was a cholera epidemic. There was exportation of grain and importation of coal from the port.
It was a great source of employment. So very likely
Daniel Kelly may have died at sea. I'm not sure that could be confirmed as many records have not been found or are in libraryies not transcribed.

www.clarelibrary.ie (might have genealogy records?)

www.clareroots.com is the genealogical society. You will see a sample report they will provide. They can gien you copies of original documents, baptism, marriage and death as well as land records. You will see this is an expensive
undertaking although it is printed in book form.

Back when Wicklow only had what Clareroots is offering, i THOUGHT I wasn't paying that kind of money or more that I would do it myself and so flew to Ireland. Along with the cost of the flight and accommodation and four days spent at the Church of Ireland Library in Dublin. RC have no such one place to find documents. Nor are people overly welcome at the Parish Church. These local genealogy offices do all the collecting of materials. Looking at it now I would say in my case it was money well spent as I got a good result
not sure that would be the same for RC records. I have had friends who went to Ireland to undertake visiting Parish's but mostly came away with nothing because the clergy were not happy to provide information that had been given to
the genealogical office so they weren't answering any individual requests. Church doors are locked now, appointments would need to be made but overall they had
a very frustrating search and rarely got any cooperation.
Their best info came from gravestone inscriptions in the church cemetary.

other resources:
www.from-ireland.net
www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+County
www.igp-web.com + County

There are a large number of Kelly's listed in the local telephone book, but much less in Ennis area.

Annette Code

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
smk411cpk1 14 Oct 2012 12:41PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 22 Nov 2012 2:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions