Hayes actors in Scarriff

Replies: 2

Hayes actors in Scarriff

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Aug 2013 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: hayes Cormack McCormack Liston
Hi,

Yesterday I received a copy of my g-grandparents Irish wedding certificate. The event took place in Scarriff in 1882. The priest who married them in the Catholic Church was Kenny. His initials look like M or N and J.

Theresa Hayes married Joseph McCormack on 6 October 1882. They both put their present residence as Scarriff. What's got me intrigued is that they both name their profession as actors. Theresa also gives her father's name as Michael and states that he is an actor too. Joseph's father is listed as dead, but Michael Hayes does not have this against his name so I presume he is alive in 1882.

The witnesses to the wedding were Michael Hayes and Kate Angeross Hayes. I presume these are either Theresa's siblings or her parents as her mother's name was Catherine Liston. Not sure about the Angeross, as in never heard of it as a middle name. There's a very small possibility that the g is actually a q.

I know Joseph was born in Boulea Tipperary and Theresa in Mungret, Limerick.

A Michael Hayes died in Scariff in 1891 aged 54 according to the registration records. Possibly could be Theresa's father.

I was wondering why three actors would be living in Scarriff as it seems a very small village and whether I could learn more about their activities. The McCormacks were bakers. The only information I had about the Hayes was that Theresa's father Michael was a teacher so I guess he could have been both at some stage. I also know that Theresa had a brother called Michael and possibly an uncle called Denis as a Denis hayes was her older brother's godfather.

After their wedding, Joseph and Theresa immigrated to Australia. I don't know what happened to her parents or siblings.

Interested in any help I can get about any type of shows or theatre in Scarriff or surrounds and whether the Hayes came from there or settled there.

Cheers,
Paul
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
paulcollins18... 9 Aug 2013 3:12AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 2 Nov 2013 6:07PM GMT 
paulcollins18... 3 Nov 2013 6:01AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions