Search for content in message boards

Hugh Brady and clan of Paradise Hill, Killchreest (Ballynacally), Clare, Ireland

Replies: 13

Hugh Brady and clan of Paradise Hill, Killchreest (Ballynacally), Clare, Ireland

Posted: 14 Sep 2013 7:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can someone fill in any gaps on this family? Hugh Brady was a celebrated teacher at the Ruan National School who was particularly effective in helping his students pass the Civil Service Exams. It appears that he originated from Paradise, retired to Paradise and is buried in Kilchreest graveyard in Ballynacally, Ireland. Mr. Brady was a bachelor. The family that he is buried with is that of Edmond (or Edward) Brady, married to Mary King, whose sons were Jeremiah (Jerry), Hugh (not the teacher), Daniel and Patrick. I am in possession of a copy of a letter from Jerry Brady listing the names of his brothers. Jerry Brady's wife died in 1940. He had 3 daughters. Jerry died in 1975 and he and his wife, Mary Ginnane are buried at Kilchreest graveyard. Pat died in 1976 and is also at Kilchreest. It appears to me that Edmond is either a brother or first cousin of the Ruan teacher. Edmond and his family appear in the 1901 and 1911 Ireland census at Ballynacally. I suspect that Hugh returned to his town of birth and the remaining members of his family, after his retirement. An additional piece of information is that Jerry Brady writes about his grandmother Katherine Guinane. I do not know whether she is his paternal or maternal g-mother I.e. Katherine Brady or Katherine King. According to Jerry, his grandmother's two sisters Mary and Jane Guinane married two Latchford cousins (Francis and John D), who emigrated to Maryland USA between 1835-1839. Both were landholders listed in the 1825 Applotment List,but not seen in later lists. The Guinane clan seems to have originated in the Deer Island area. Last of all there appears to have been another Hugh Brady who was a teacher in County Clare in 1937, perhaps the father of Hugh and Edmond? By the way, these Bradys from Ballynacally were Roman Catholic, unusual because Bishop Hugh Brady of Clare, several generations before, was a celebrated patriarch of the "Brady" name, who was a convert to the Protestant faith. any additional information shared would be appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dublinwoods 15 Sep 2013 1:54AM GMT 
codeannette_1 31 Oct 2013 11:41PM GMT 
dublinwoods 1 Nov 2013 1:19AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 1 Nov 2013 2:00PM GMT 
dublinwoods 1 Nov 2013 8:16PM GMT 
katrina_vince... 2 Nov 2013 12:58AM GMT 
dublinwoods 7 Feb 2014 7:04PM GMT 
caroline brad... 4 May 2014 1:51PM GMT 
dublinwoods 5 May 2014 1:11AM GMT 
caroline brad... 5 May 2014 11:02AM GMT 
per page