Search for content in message boards

GALVIN/HOGAN JOHNSTON HOULIHAN/McINERNEY/LAMB

Replies: 25

Goldmine!

Posted: 27 Nov 1999 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jun 2001 3:38PM GMT
You have a goldmine!

First, I was born and raised in USA, only spent 14 days ever in Ireland.

Are you saying you have not determined what to do with these placenames? Like where they are in Ireland?

You may know this but....

From "The General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands & Towns of Ireland"- a standard reference work:

Kingscourt Town is in Co. Cavan, Enniskeen Civil Parish, Bailieborough Poor Law Union.

Cootehill Town is also in Co. Cavan, Drumgoon Civil Parish, Cootehill Poor Law Union.

His birth and probably his parents' marriage should be in the Irish Civil records. These are indexed by year and the indices and full records are on microfilm at the LDS and can be ordered at any branch. These are NOT the IGI!

They indexed by registration district, NOT by county. In your case you need to look in the Bailieborough registration district. His parents' marriage will give names of both fathers which will be helpful when you go into religious records to back past 1864, the start of civil records.

I am not an expert on Co. Cavan so I cannot help you further (i.e. with names of religious parishes, dates of records, etc.) I would refer you to the free, on-line, 80-page guide to Ireland research on the LDS web site:

www.familysearch.org/sg/Ireland.html

For more info on Civil records see the free on-line article and the sub links in it at the link below.

Your ancestor has left you a goldmine of clues. Follow the trail!

Best regards,

Kathy Flynn, CGRS
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
j_lambe 27 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
flynnke 27 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
flynnke 27 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
geniexyz 13 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT 
j_lambe 15 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT 
njnjnj6 22 Nov 2012 11:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions