Search for content in message boards

Porter family in Cork, Ireland and Porter family in N. Ireland

Replies: 2

Porter family in Cork, Ireland and Porter family in N. Ireland

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 2:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Mar 2011 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
I am researching family from Ireland. My great great Uncle David Porter is listed in US Census records as being from Cork, Ireland (born1848). He, Jane Porter (b.1844) and Margaret (b. 1843) and Thomas (b. 1862) are all listed as being born in County Cork, while George (My Great Grandfather b. 1860) is listed as being born in Northern Ireland. There was another sister named Elizabeth who, according to family history, died enroute to the U.S. In the family history passed down, their parents are listed as Martha Patterson Porter and James Porter who also immigrated to the US. As I am looking at family history, some information is a bit confusing and I would like to find out how to clarify all of this. I do not see very many public records that match family history outside of US Census records stating that they are from these respective areas of Ireland. I also realize that family history may be inaccurate because of the prejudice that occurred in the late 1800s/early1900s when they were first in the U.S. (Batavia, Genesee County, New York). I also wonder, were they all the same family or two separate families? I'd appreciate any insight or help. Thanks.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BarbaraPorter... 14 Mar 2011 8:30PM GMT 
skibbgirl 15 Mar 2011 3:15AM GMT 
mari-lou stol... 15 Jan 2013 7:11AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions