Search for content in message boards

Daniel Murphy & Mary (O) Connor of Brosna, Co. Kerry, Ireland

Replies: 14

Daniel Murphy & Mary (O) Connor of Brosna, Co. Kerry, Ireland

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 11:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy, (O) Connor, Greany
I am looking for descendants of Daniel Murphy and Mary (O)Connor of Brosna, Co. Kerry. Brosna is a town or village not all that far east of Castleisland in County Kerry. There is also mention of a place called Salleywood Crossroads by the descendants of one of their children, though we none of us have been able to find any trace of it on maps of Kerry. I offer it here more as a possible identifier/shibboleth than anything else.

Family lore that we have been thus far able to put together says that Daniel Murphy (most likely born around 1840-1850) and worked as farmhand on the O'Connors' dairy farm and fell in love with their daughter Mary. Her parents were against the match, and the eloped, possibly to Marylebone in London. When they came back married, the O'Connors would have nothing to do with them.

Accounts of how many children they had vary from twelve or thirteen to twenty-one, and supposedly Mary died in childbirth while Daniel lived into his 90s, having a heart attack while riding a bicycle in Ireland. Almost all of their children emigrated from Ireland. Two of them, my great-grandfather, also called Daniel Murphy, and his sister Elizabeth Murphy Malloy, went to the U.S. and settled in Chicago. The rest, it is said, went either to Australia or England.
Between family accounts, what I’ve found in the Irish 1901 Census, and indexes for baptismal records of children born to a Daniel Murphy and Mary Connor in Brosna Parish, I have assembled the following list of names and birth years for the children of Daniel Murphy and Mary (O) Connor of Brosna:

Patrick (Paddy) – born 1871 – children: Kate Greany and Mary
Ellen (or Nell) – born 1873
Catherine (or Kate) – born 1876
Mary – born 1877
Nora – born about 1885 per the 1901 Census
Daniel Joseph (my great-grandfather) born 1889 – married Nora Greaney of Knaughane, Co. Waterford
Johanna Murphy Heffernan– born 1891
Ann (or Nancy) – born 1893
The remaining children are attested to purely by word-of-mouth, no records
Bridget
Denis
Elizabeth Murphy Malloy (born either 1886 or 1892)
John (Sean)
Joseph
Matthew
Timothy

I post this here because there is supposedly a connection of our Brosna in Kerry Murphys to Murphys in Knockaclarig, Co. Cork, and also mention of Murphy relatives on a war memorial in Charleville, Co. Cork.

Thanks for reading!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
breosaighit13 8 Oct 2012 5:20PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 13 Oct 2012 4:58AM GMT 
breosaighit13 13 Oct 2012 5:12AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 13 Oct 2012 5:41AM GMT 
breosaighit13 5 Jan 2013 12:50AM GMT 
bfordham10 12 Dec 2012 9:20PM GMT 
breosaighit13 5 Jan 2013 12:54AM GMT 
bfordham10 28 Jan 2013 7:13PM GMT 
eileencmurphy 21 Feb 2013 3:26PM GMT 
bfordham10 21 Feb 2013 3:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions