Search for content in message boards

O'leary family from Ballydehob pre 1830

Replies: 2

O'leary family from Ballydehob pre 1830

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 10:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'leary
am trying to find out information on:

O'Leary, Ellin b. 1809 d. Oct. 21, 1889 Saint Lawrence Cemetery Charleston Charleston County South Carolina, USA.

Her brother O'Leary, Daniel b. 1810 d. Oct. 30, 1872 Saint Lawrence Cemetery Charleston Charleston County South Carolina, USA. His tombstone says he was born in Ballydehob.

His brother was my great-grandfather, Jeremiah O'Leary b. 11 Jan 1801 in County Cork, Ireland, he died in York SC 22 April 1850. He married Rose Ann O'Hare 5 Jan. 1831.

A few years ago I found this article mentioning my Great Grandfather, confirming he was Roman Catholic.

"At Yorkville there was for many years but one Catholic man, Hugh McGinnis, who was advanced in years, and, though married, left no children; he was a pious man and died during the war. Jeremiah O'Leary, who married into the O'Hare family, was a good man, and died about 1850. He left many children, whom I instructed in the faith with great pains, and was fully encouraged by their mother, who was not a Catholic. I fear they have fallen away. They were all baptized. .......

From another letter fragment:

15 Oct. 1830, Charleston, Ellen O[']Leary, to Jeremiah O[']Leary, [Yorkville] (mentioning their brother, Dan, recently arrived from Ireland, who needed money in order to travel to Yorkville, and reminding him of his promise made six years earlier upon leaving Ireland—"you brought God to witness that you would be a Father and a protector to me in the Land of strangers".

hints more than welcome
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kquerna 3 Nov 2012 4:33PM GMT 
kitykat20 14 Jan 2013 5:43PM GMT 
kquerna 25 Feb 2013 6:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic