Search for content in message boards

Fitzgeralds of County Cork / Cape Clear?

Replies: 6

Fitzgeralds of County Cork / Cape Clear?

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 2:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FITZGERALD, SULLIVAN, CONNOLLY
Hi, I am researching my family history. Anyone who knows anything about Fitzgeralds from Cape Clear Island and County Cork, please let me know if you're familiar with any of these people:

My last name is Fitzgerald, my great grandparents, Patrick Thomas Fitzgerald (born c.1898) and Mary Kate Sullivan (born c. 1897) came to Boston, MA from Ireland around 1924/1925.

Patrick Thomas Fitzgerald's parents were Thomas Fitzgerald and Bridget Fitzgerald (nee Connolly). Patrick's birth certificate states that he was born in "Cork" and that his father was a fisherman. I also heard that the Fitzgeralds were from Cape Clear; the southernmost inhabited point in Ireland.

I used the 1901/1911 Irish census website to try to track him down. I found a "Patrick Fitzgerald" with parents named "Thomas" and "Bridget" from Cape Clear, Co. Cork. The "Thomas" and "Bridget" on the 1901 census had eight children:
"Mary" (10 years old);
"Ellie" (8 years old); "Delia" (6 years old);
"Hannorah" (5 years old);
"Cathorine" (4 years old);
"Patrick" (3 years old);
"Maggie" (2 years old);
"Florence" (a boy, 1 year old).
Seeing that the "Patrick" from this 1901 census was 3 years old at the time, this would put his birthday around 1898, which was my great-grandfather's birthyear. My great-grandfather also named his eldest son (my grandfather's eldest brother) "Thomas", so this would follow traditional Irish naming conventions. My great-grandfather also had a daughter named "Catherine". Then there are many people in mine, my father's, and gradfather's generations that have first or middle names like "Patrick", "Thomas" and "Catherine" (also have a couple of Kathleen's and a Kaitlyn all of whom have the middle name "Mary").

The same family appears in the same place in the 1911 census. Except the census' "Bridget" was listed as the household's head, so I'm guessing that her husband "Thomas" died sometime between 1901 and 1911, probably in Cape Clear or at least County Cork somewhere.

I provided the links to the 1901 census. Does anyone know about this family?
They were at 8 in Ballyieragh North (Cape Clear, Cork) in 1901 and 1911.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Cape_C...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jpfitzgerald5... 26 Nov 2012 9:16PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 27 Nov 2012 1:39PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 27 Nov 2012 1:43PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 28 Nov 2012 12:10AM GMT 
Collegefarm 29 Nov 2012 8:04PM GMT 
Collegefarm 29 Nov 2012 8:08PM GMT 
teddyod 19 Sep 2013 1:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions