The Driscoll of Cork project is seeking DNA testers with these ancestries in its DNA project.
Historical notes: Clan Finn is thought to have settled in Myross parish. They may have taken their name from a Finghin O'Driscoll ancestor. Aodh Garbh OhEiderscoil, ancestor to Driscolls in the Beara peninsula, was killed in battle by another Driscoll branch called O Ceadigain. Whooleys are believed to have originated around Clonakilty but have spread out from there. Minihane is believed to be an agnomen of Driscoll originating from the Beara peninsula.
Direct male descendants with these surnames can participate with a Y-DNA test. 67 markers is ideal if a full 111 marker test is not feasible. Anybody with these names in their ancestry can participate through an autosomal DNA test. The project is administered through FTDNA, so new participants can order their tests through FTDNA or order them through another testing company but then will have to transfer the results to FTDNA. The autosomal DNA test at FTDNA is called Family Finder.
These tests are on sale now through the end of 2012. You can order a test and join the Driscoll project here:http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?code=A23318&...
And please feel free to visit Driscoll of Cork, where there is more historical background:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colin/Dris...
IMPORTANT CHANGE OF INFORMATION if you already have a test on file at FTDNA. The link I previously posted does not work properly.
To join the project:
1) Log in to your FTDNA account
2) Click Projects on the menu bar, then Join
3) You will see project search page. On that page is a search box. Type in Driscoll and click SEARCH.
4) You will see a list of projects that include Driscoll. Click on the link that says Driscoll.
5) On this page there should be an orange button at the bottom that says JOIN. Click that button.
6) There is a chance you might see an error screen that says "There was an error while attempting to load the page you requested." IGNORE THIS.
7) Wait for my email confirming that I see your name and kit number in the project. If you don't get an email from me, email me at email@example.com
If you already have a Y-DNA test or FF test on file at FTDNA you can join the Driscoll project here:http://www.familytreedna.com/project-join-request.aspx?group...