Search for content in message boards

Cronin and Ronan Surname Question

Replies: 4

Re: Cronin and Ronan Surname Question

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 3:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cronan , Cronayne, Ronan, Ronayne, Cunningham, Whooly, Gilhooly, Gilhooley
Why I am interested in Cronin and Ronan being interchangeable is based on a working theory pertaining to a naming pattern quirk with in my Ronan family , along with 3 Ireland records ,and an 1850 US Census in NYC for a Patrick Ronan, I believe to be my GG Grandfather.

Patrick's very botched Death Record gave me Thomas and Elizabeth Gilhooly as Patrick's parents. I believe Thomas is correct! the1st son was named Thomas.The name Elizabeth, I believe was most likely a Mary Elizabeth. This was name of the 2nd daughter born to Patrick. The 2nd son James was named after his wife's father. Thus, I feel some sort of naming patern was used.
The quirk how ever lies with the name Arthur. A name given to the first sons of Patrick's sons Thomas and William and given to my Grandfather, the 2nd son of Patrick's youngest child Anna. There is no doubt its a naming pattern and connected to Patrick's side ( haven't found any reason to think Arthur is tied to Patrick's wife's' family).
Over at Brsgenealogy I found 1 record for an Arthur Ronan, birth April 1895 in St. Mary's/ Clonmel, Tipperary to James and Margaret McGinn.
From Irishgenealogy.ie I found a baptism in 1814 of a Margaret Emers in South, St.Finnbars ,Cork. Her sponsors were Arthur Ronan and Mary Cunningham.
I have Patrick immigrating in April 1849 age about 13. On an 1850 Census I found a Patrick closely matching mine living with a Mary Roonan, a Patrick, Margaret and John Cunnigham.
Now, just the other night I found another record at brsgenealogy for a marriage in St.Mary's -Clonmel between a Thomas Croyane and Mary Cunningham.

From the moment, I found the 1st record for Arthur Ronan, my gut has told me it is connected to my family. For almost as long I have toyed with the notion that my GGG Grandfather known to me as Thomas, is actually and Arthur Thomas, preferring to be called by the latter.

Please dont think I have chucked the possibility that Elizabeth Gilhooly is correct. I just have yet to get a closer connection then to a close vicinity between the surnames Gilhooly and Ronan, no records found , no connection in NYC either. I did however find a record for an Eliza Whooly whom married in Aughadown Feb 1825, the groom's name is unreadable.

Hopefully, all this is understandable !

Thanks for your input, Danielle

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
indigrl0608 1 Apr 2013 7:48AM GMT 
bmdnotices 1 Apr 2013 7:58AM GMT 
skibbgirl 6 Apr 2013 3:52AM GMT 
indigrl0608 12 Apr 2013 9:29AM GMT 
skibbgirl 12 Apr 2013 11:06PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions