Search for content in message boards

Looking for history on family of Parick Henry Nugent, County Cork

Replies: 17

Re: Looking for history on family of Parick Henry Nugent, County Cork

Posted: 8 Jan 2009 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Elizabeth,

I saw your message from June of last year to Lamar Van Gunten on behalf of my grandfather, William Henry Nugent. It was nice of you to respond. My grandfather died in March, 2007, so unfortunately the information can't be shared with him. I also have been doing research on our branch of the Nugent family and have been stuck on Patrick Henry Nugent (my great grandfather, and your gggrandfather), I haven't been able to get any further back than him.

I have found a fair amount of information about him on ancestry. It appears he was born between 1861 and 1864, and he immigrated to the U.S. in 1880. I have received copies of his naturalization papers from Hudson County, NJ, unfortunately they were incomplete. There are quite a few records of transatlantic crossings he made between 1905 and 1912 on ancestry. I also have a copy of the census return from the 1911 Census of Ireland for the family. It indicates my great grandparents were married around 1907 and my great-aunts Kay and Greta (Kathleen and Margaret) were born in 1908 and 1910. Lamar's note was helpful, I didn't know PH's date of death, nor Eileen's DOB. During the 'troubles' my grandfather's family moved from Cork to Dublin.

My grandfather had told me that he had several uncles and aunts in NJ, NY, and Connecticut. Also that PHN had had a family in Bayonne. When WHN came to the U.S. in 1929 he stayed with relatives. The 1930 census shows him staying with George Nugent and his family. The return indicated George was his uncle. I have found lots of information on George, I believe his father was named Jeremiah Nugent and he lived in Dunbeacon which is outside of Bantry.

I had heard a story about a funeral home, and politics. I have also found documentation that indicates the family was also in liquor distribution. Can you confirm anything about either politics or liquor? A recurring address is 321 Broadway Bayonne, NJ. PHN gave it as his residence in several ship's manifests. Any information you could supply would be most helpful and appreciated.

Best Regards,

Chris Nugent

P.S. My grandfather talked about the Electricity Works several times. Supposedly, the power was turned on the day he was born. I can't say whether it's true, or not, but it makes a good tale!

CRN
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Lamar Van Gunten 13 Jan 2004 6:09AM GMT 
LalaSal17 9 Jun 2008 10:46PM GMT 
crnugent1963 9 Jan 2009 6:40AM GMT 
LalaSal17 9 Jan 2009 3:47PM GMT 
johnjnugent 4 Apr 2009 12:18PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 5 Apr 2009 5:42AM GMT 
MickiKLee 19 Apr 2009 6:54AM GMT 
rthoadley 26 Jul 2010 11:24PM GMT 
a6440 3 Feb 2013 3:35PM GMT 
rthoadley 26 Jul 2010 10:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions