Michael Twohig born in about 1800 was married to Frances Kenaley.
They had a son Michael Twohig born 25th March 1827 in Cork.
Michael joined the navy and took part in the 2nd Opium war in China aboard HMS Calcutta.
He retired from the navy in 1859 and joined the coastguard. He was posted to Padstow Coastguard Unit Cornwall England. He died in 1877.
He married Honora Murphy and they had the following children
1. Mary b 1862 in Cork
2. David b 24 July 1865 Rosscarby Cork married Hanna Maria Lynch in 1894
3. Elizabeth b 10 June 1866 Cork
4. John Patrick b 5 May 1867 Mawgan Porth Cornwall The spelling on the net is wrong.
Married Ellen O’Brien on 30 August 1890 in Cork.
This is where I became interested in your family. Ellen O’Brien was the sister of Mary Ann O’Brien who was the mother of Michael Collins 1890-1922.
Their children were known as O’Brien-Twohig and a couple are quite famous and John Patrick was the chief accountant for the Irish Education Dept.
5. Annie V b in 1869 in Mawgan Porth Cornwall
6. Michael Dinnas Aloysius Twohig b 25 Nov 1870 Mawgan Porth Cornwall
He may have married Elizabeth Ann Lynch .
I believed that he died on 24th June 1958 in Cork.
I knew nothing about his emigrating.
If you want to know anymore please contact me through Ancestry.co.uk as I will not put my E-mail address on an open board.
PS I don’t know if Mary Rose b 1899 is the daughter of David or John Patrick.
PS and you are very distantly related to Michael Collins.