Search for content in message boards

Eugene MACARTHY - Another Connection to Blarney Castle!

Replies: 6

Re: Eugene MACARTHY - Another Connection to Blarney Castle!

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 11:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MacArthy
Eugene McArthy was my great great grandfather and Sarah Jane Turnbull my great great grandmother.
Their son George Eugene was my great grandfather. I have pictures of him. He was Mayor of Newcastle on Tyne.
He had 2 daughters, Maud & Florence and a son Leonard.
George Eugene's daughter Maud married Hugh MacColl in Newcastle-on-Tyne.
Hugh MacColl (known as Hugo because he lived in Spain) designed ship's boilers for the Spanish navy. When he came back from Spain he started a business in Newcastle- on-Tyne making ships boilers. They were special in some way - because I have been approached by maritime historians researching Hugo's life & work. I have photos of the factory.
Hugo & Maud's wedding was a big do in the town. I have a clipping from a newspaper about it.
Hugo & Maude had two sons
Hugh Geoffrey MacColl, my father,was a physicist worked for British Aluminium - involved in rolling aluminium to make Spitfires in the war. He was very keen on genealogies between 1933 & his death in 1947 & researched not only his own tree but also set up The MacColl Society.
James Eugene MacColl, was in local government, a JP, and Labour MP for Widnes in Lancashire for many years.
This is all out of the top of my head.
I have suitcases full of family papers in my loft - but little time at present to go looking. I will one day!
There are still jokes in my family about the 'blarney' connection.
Dax Wright

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Scbnymph 10 Oct 2004 7:55PM GMT 
daxwright 21 Feb 2010 6:37PM GMT 
carlenelwilli... 14 Nov 2010 10:23PM GMT 
carlenelwilli... 14 Nov 2010 10:23PM GMT 
grantlawuk 24 Oct 2012 8:10AM GMT 
ricval_1 29 Dec 2012 4:00PM GMT 
ricval_1 29 Dec 2012 4:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic