Search for content in message boards

Mangan's or Egans Cork City - Watchmakers

Replies: 5

Mangan's or Egans Cork City - Watchmakers

Brummie23 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2005 3:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clothier, Falvey, Felton, Gleeson, Hornibrook, Mulcahy, Mahony, Vanston.
Hi Listers, I am trying to trace part of the employment history of Henry Clothier, who worked as a Watchmaker for either Mangan's or Egan's in Cork City.

He had served in the 62nd of foot Reg. and was stationed in Victoria Barrack's married a local Hanora Horrigan in 1868 at St Lukes and was discharged from the Army on the Grounds of bad health at Pembroke Dock Wales 23 Mar 1869.

He then returned to Cork and worked as a Watchmaker from then 1869 until c 1878 when he returned to England.

I can't find Mangan's or Egan's in the 'phone directory and presume that they may have recently closed. But I do know that they were in Cork for along time and the Clock (metal structure/tower?) in Patrick's St near Father Mathew and the Four Faced liar, link their enterprise to Cork.

I anyone aware as to whether any of their records were archived or kept by any Historical Society or Museum in Cork? Or is anyone aware of a Watchmakers Guild or Union that may have such historical records?

Thanks very much for your time.

Matt Falvey
Perth W Australia.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Brummie23 2 Jan 2005 10:59AM GMT 
Bill Kane 5 Jan 2005 9:51PM GMT 
Chery Bryant 17 Nov 2006 6:49PM GMT 
montaguehenne... 6 Jan 2005 10:48PM GMT 
Brummie23 7 Jan 2005 10:48AM GMT 
pmmon 15 Jul 2013 9:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic