Search for content in message boards

colhoun family 1700 - 1800s

Replies: 19

colhoun family 1700 - 1800s

tony colhoun (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Colhoun, Cahoon, colquhoun, calhoun
I am a descendant of Samuel Colhoun(b.1803) of Teeronail,Lifford, Co Donegal, Ire. Samuel also lived in Buncrana, Co Donegal and spent his final years at Lisonally(sic) House in Omagh, Co Tyrone. He was the son of Samuel Colhoun Snr.(b.1761/2) and he had four siblings, Mathew,Francis Jane, James and John. Mathew lived in Sunderland and Cumberland, Eng..It is understood that the names of Colhoun and Calhoun became the Ulster forms of the clan name Colquhoun by about the end of the 17th century, and if it appears in other countries eg. Australia, it got there by migration from northern Ireland.
John Colhoun(b.1845) and Samuel(b.1847), sons of Samuel Jnr. moved to Australia in 1865.This same John Colhoun is my grandfather of four generations past.
I am seeking information from anyone who think they may be related to the above or have any further information that may assist in adding to the genealogical records already collated into a data base on the Colquhoun/Colhoun family. There is a great deal of information I now have on record and any response to this email may give you the opportunity to contribute to these records and get some information in return for your own interest. My biggest gap of detailed information is around the end of the sixteenth century to the beginning of the 17th century. I'm not seeking information in anyway for commercial gain and no money is offered for information nor expected for any information that you may seek from me in return.As you are probably aware there is a considerable commercial industry growing around geneology so I'm hoping to share information purely out of interest and for something to hand on to future generations of this family and the families that may be linked.I have much more detail if anyone contacts me and thinks they may be able to help.

To fill in the gaps clearly requires the efforts of many interested people so I do hope I hear from you soon.
Sincerely, Tony Colhoun
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tony colhoun 15 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Dianna Daniel 16 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
tony colhoun 17 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
tony colhoun 21 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Karen Gerlach 17 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
tony colhoun 17 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
tony colhoun 21 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Colin Graham 6 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
tony colhoun 8 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
tony colhoun 26 May 1999 12:00PM GMT