Search for content in message boards

Single Surname Study (all variant spellings)

Replies: 28

Re: Seagraves,Segraves

Posted: 19 Dec 2002 2:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Dec 2002 2:57PM GMT
Surnames: Segraves/Seagraves
Julie, it has been a whlie since you posted this, so it may not be of interest, but I have a large data base on the family name and am familiar with your John TR Seagraves. If you are interested, I can share what I have with you.
On he subject of spelling variations, I once wrote a short article on the Genealogy.com site about the variations in the Seagraves spelling. The short summary is that spelling does not matter in this research. All of us with any variant of the name come from the same general source. Our ancestors were not paticularly concerned about or even aware of, in some cases, how their surname was spelled by clerks, census takers and other such scribes. Only in recent decades have we focused on that detail.
Be careful of the "facts" from Jerry W. Segroves. There is no source or reference describing the exact origin of our family name. Neither is there a source which shows a Thomas DeSegrave being part of William the Conqueror's army. He is mentioned in the Domeday Book compiled in 1086 as a landowner in Leicestershire. We do not have a source for any particular immigration from England or Ireland of an early Seagraves. There are three 'branches' of the family dating from colonial times: North Carolina, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Only the MA branch has a genealogy that describes the original family from England.
I have more if you are interested.
Jim
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Paul Seegraves 24 Dec 2002 4:28AM GMT 
James F. Seagraves 24 Dec 2002 5:04PM GMT 
Paul Seegraves 25 Dec 2002 4:16AM GMT 
James F. Seagraves 26 Dec 2002 3:58PM GMT 
seagravesjf 19 Dec 2002 9:32PM GMT 
Julie 20 Dec 2002 10:04PM GMT 
Julie 20 Dec 2002 10:04PM GMT 
James F. Seagraves 23 Dec 2002 5:24PM GMT 
Julie 31 Jul 2003 4:03AM GMT 
James F. Seagraves 31 Jul 2003 4:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions