Search for content in message boards

Dun Laoghaire or Kingstown or Glasthule Connor - Kearns - Keirans

Replies: 0

Dun Laoghaire or Kingstown or Glasthule Connor - Kearns - Keirans

Karen Kelly Kiss (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2004 11:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Connor Kearns Keirans Kelly Wilde
My GREAT GRANDMOTHER was a ELLEN KEARNS. I believe her father was an Andrew KEARNS who may have been married to a KEIRANS (note different spelling). ANDREW'S occupation when Ellen was married was that of a "gardener". [There is "some theory" that the early KEARNS part of my family came from Co Wicklow although I have nothing to support this. The area of Glasthule - Dalkey / Kingstown developed work opportunities with the quarry and the new docks in the 1860s to bring workers from this area to make this a logical move into the area. At the time in the 1860s Glasthule and Kingstown were country areas and well out of Dublin. Today they are just suburbs away. My Great grandfather, Patrick Connor did eventually work for the railroad when the later children were born. Perhaps this meant a promotion from laborer to railway worker.]

ELLEN KEARNS then of Beechwood, District of Killiney, Rathdown, Co. Dublin, married PATRICK CONNOR, my GREAT GRANDFATHER, then of Rocherstown on August 24, 1865. Ellen’s name given on the marriage license was also spelled as KEIRANS. "This marriage was solemnized between us: Patrick CONNOR and Ellen KEIRANS".

The witnesses to the marriage at the Chapel at Ballybrack were Peter KEIRANS, perhaps this was a brother (notice the different spelling and it combines with Andrew's possible wife) and Anne KEARN, perhaps a sister.

Only the Civil marriage records could be found. Registration number Irish Civil Marriage Records record the marriage as District of Killiney, Rathdown, Co. Dublin married 1865, Vol 12 Page 870. No record of the marriage could be found at the Chapel at Ballybrack (today known as Sts Alphonsus & Columba) because the marriage records for 1865 were not there.

I suspect a Peter KEIRANS, possibly her brother, had three children: One included Ellen or Nellie Christina KEIRANS (was born in 1870 in Dublin Co. and died on Dec 26, 1936 at 5 Huntington Road, York) This Ellen KEIRANS married Joseph Vincent WILDE and they had 5 children including: John "Jack" Peter, Joseph Vincent ( who later married a girl BAXTER), Francis D, Vincent Joseph and Charles Edward. I know the family was living at 28 Emerald St, Park Grove, York, Yorkshire, England in 1919 since they communicated with Brigid Connor (1870) then living in America..

Ellen KEARNS and Patrick CONNOR’S first born child, Sarah CONNOR (1866) was born and christened at the chapel at Ballybrack. The family then shifted to Sandy Cove Ave (an area then either Glasthule or Dalkey depending on the division of boundaries) where the remaining 9 children were born and christened at St Joseph’s Church in Glasthule The second oldest child Brigid CONNOR (1870), Andrew Joseph CONNOR (1872), Maria CONNOR (1874), Patrick CONNOR (1875), Ellen CONNOR (1877), Mary Ann CONNOR (1879), Catherine (1881), Agnes Mary CONNOR , MY GRANDMOTHER, (1884) and James CONNOR (1890).

Agnes Mary CONNOR MY GRANDMOTHER married a Thomas (John or James) KELLY of Big Flats near Elmira, NY in Holy Cross Church on May 6. 1909 in Dayton, OH. However none of the Church or civil marriage records we can find can confirm this date and Church using the expected given, maiden names, ie - Kearns/Keirans and birth place Glasthule, Co Dublin.

We know that Sarah CONNOR a sister of Agnes, married John GAFFNEY and settled in Waterbury, CT; her husband, John GAFFNEY worked for the Railroad.

Some of the family CONNOR migrated (possibly sailed from Liverpool on White Star Line, Teutonic to NYC about 1898 to go to the home of John GAFFNEY and Sarah GAFFNEY CONNOR in Waterbury. This included: Bridget M CONNOR RODGERS, Sarah’s sister and children William RODGERS, Walter James and Elizabeth, and sisters Ellen CONNOR who later married a JOYNER and Anne CONNOR who married a PRYOR. The actual

We also know a cousin Elizabeth Betty O’CONNOR daughter of Ellen CONNOR lived in Dublin at 30 Shanid Road, Harold's Cross, Dublin in 1963. She was then married to a Patrick Joseph KENNEDY and had 6 children including: Jeanette Maria (17 Jul 1944) , Brian Patrick (27 Feb, 1946) , Joseph Sean (5 April, 1948), June Mary ( 5 June 1951), Josephine (1953 or 54) and Jacqueline (1963).

Any help you can give would be most appreciated. You never know how this ever xonnects but maybe. We live in hope!

Please respond to Karen at:
familyhistory@westnet.com.au

Find a board about a specific topic