Search for content in message boards

Donnybrook Catholic Churches

Replies: 23

Re: Donnybrook Catholic Churches

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 12:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KEEGAN, O'Connor
Hello Ursula :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my query. It is very much appreciated.

My grandfather, Thomas Keegan is listed s living at: 11 Keegan's Lans in the 1901 & 1911 Census.

By 1916, they are listed as living at: 10 Keegan's Lane (Eldest son's war records - died @ Battle of The Somme)

My feeling is that my grandfather died circa 1932. He is certainly not listed in the 1939/40 Electoral Register.

My grandmother is listed as being born in Laois (Pretty sure it was Mountmellick) Where she got married from, I don't know, as she could have been in service in Dublin?

My grandfather is listed as being born in Westmeath. (Think there was a family farm down there. Once I found a reference, but didn't note it and haven't been able to find it since! >.< )

My grandfather is listed as a fireman/stoker in the 1901 & 1911 census. So, I assume he worked for British Rail. I tried to make a start on finding BR records, but must confess that I got totally lost. So, confused about how to progress his service records.

My grandmother - Mary Anne (neé McDermott)- lived at 10 Ballsbridge Avenue, until her death (1957). She lived with her daughter (and I assume her daughter's husband ?) Her daughter's name was Bridget (Biddy) O'Connor (neé Keegan). She is listed in the 1939/40 Electoral Register.

I understood that Bridget (Biddy) O'Connor (neé Keegan) was living at 10 Ballsbridge Ave (Keegan's Lane) with her son, until very recently. I looked at the houses via Google Earth. 11 Ballsbridge Avenue was renovated, but I was bitterly disappointed to see that 10 Ballsbridge Ave looked unoccupied and dilapidated. Given that Google Earth is two (?) years out of date, I don't know what the current state of number 10 is...

My father, Patrick Keegan was born into, 11 Keegan's Lane (Ballsbridge Ave, as is) in 1905. He married, I would assume in the early 1920s, but I don't know and that is one of the things I need to find out.

Of my father's siblings, the eldest - John, died in WWI (1916). Bridget lived with her mother at 10 Ballsbridge Ave. I have pictures of my Dad with another sister, when they were adults. I assume this sister is, Mary-Anne Keegan, due to the age. I don't know this for sure though. Nor do I know Mary-Anne's married name.

There are three siblings that I cannot find light, nor sign of. They are my father's older siblings - Margaret, Bernard and Thomas. Stories were handed down that he 'lost' one brother in Australia, but the truth of that,I don't know.

It is my sense that at least one of the elder siblings went to the North West of England, as I think my father followed family there. I 'think' Margaret might have ended up in Liverpool ? All of it is pure guesswork, though.

Apart from wanting to find out more about my father's family, I have half-siblings that I am anxious to trace. To do that I need to find the details of my father's first marriage. On the latter issue, I find myself clutching at straws *sigh*

So Ursula, if you have any relevant information relating to my family, I should be most eager and pleased to hear back from you. Feel free to message me and I shall give you my email address.

Thanks again,

Jan x
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JanetKeegan 4 Nov 2012 1:30PM GMT 
shanew147 4 Nov 2012 8:27PM GMT 
JanetKeegan 4 Nov 2012 10:24PM GMT 
dancer1951241... 7 Nov 2012 12:19AM GMT 
JanetKeegan 7 Nov 2012 2:18PM GMT 
Ursulatbyrne 5 Jan 2013 9:58PM GMT 
JanetKeegan 6 Jan 2013 7:28AM GMT 
Ursulatbyrne 6 Jan 2013 10:51PM GMT 
JanetKeegan 6 Jan 2013 11:53PM GMT 
dancer1951241... 7 Jan 2013 1:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions