Search for content in message boards

Mary Moffitt or Moffatt

Replies: 3

Re: Mary Moffitt or Moffatt

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 11:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Scott, Moffatt, Moffitt
Thank you for your reply. William Scott came over to Kirkcudbrightshire and married a local girl (Grace Ross) in 1855. He had two sons by her and disappeared after the second one (John, my wife's ancestor) was born in 1857; he was not in the 1861 or subsequent Scottish censuses. He is a total mystery. Apart from the 1855 M/C and a note on each of his son's B/C, he was not in any other official docs, in Scotland at least. He said his father Richard Scott was a 'joiner', which may be true and his mother was Mary Moffatt. The problem is that another (the same?) Richard Scott was married in Clones at the late age of 43 (b 1810 Clones). There were at least 3 Mary Moffatts b in Clones from 1813 to 1820, any one of these could have been William's father; although one of these Moffatts bp in 1820 had a father called William (as you suggest might be the case), the Richard b 1810 who could have been the father also had a father and grandfather called William. We think it possible that this Richard (not a joiner but a solicitor as per 1862 Griffith Valuation) had a liaison with Mary Moffatt, who might have gone away to Enniskillen for the birth in c. 1836. This son then left for Scotland and was married in Scotland (1855) just before Richard was married in 1856. This all appears very suggestive.

Another point: our handed-down family tradition was that the Scottish Scotts were descendants of the Dukes of Buccleuch. Not much has been made of this, but interestingly the grandfather of Richard Scott (b 1810 Clones), Dr William Scott of Scottsboro' thought he too was a descendant of Buccleuch. It is not important whether one or the other actually was a descendant, it's the fact that such a belief was in both families. Needless to say, there is no actual evidence that there is a connection between our William and the Scotts of Scottsboro'; but we think there might possibly be one. The question is to prove it.

I had the pleasure of getting a reply from you before, Annette, and had wondered at the time whether you could take this further for us. I would like to ask you now whether you could help us. I seem to remember your saying that you liked a mystery. We would of course be willing to compensate you for time and trouble. But I get the impression that you are in Canada (where by the way at least one branch of the Scotts of Scottsboro' emigrated) and so you might not be in a position to help other than give internet advice. I live in England and a visit to Enniskillen might not be productive, unless done over time. PRONI has got nothing at all. I suppose we could write to each of the churches in Enniskillen. Would you think that productive?

I would be interested in your comments.

Regards,

Iain Pavely
Godstone
Surrey

My email is friain@yahoo.co.uk if you wished not to come through Ancestry.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Pavelys5 7 Jun 2013 5:29PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 10 Jun 2013 1:05PM GMT 
Pavelys5 11 Jun 2013 5:08PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 12 Jun 2013 4:20AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions