Search for content in message boards

Richard and Christianne Johnston of Fermanagh

Replies: 3

Richard and Christianne Johnston of Fermanagh

Posted: 17 Feb 2014 6:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Trying to determine where in Fermanagh my gggrandfather John Johnston came from. John was born in Fermanagh about 1818. His brother Robert, was born in Ireland (presumably also in Fermanagh) on July 16, 1820 (as per 1901 Ontario census) or 1821 (as per his tombstone).

Their father was Richard Johnston who according to the 1851 Ontario census, was born in Ireland and was aged 68 at the time of the census. Ten years later in the 1861 Ontario census, Richard was age 70, having, remarkably, aged only 2 years. Depending on which census you believe, Richard was born either about 1783 or 1791.

Richard's wife, whose name appears in Ontario records as either Christan, Cristianne or Christiaan did not fare as well: the 1851 Ontario census gives her age as 70, and her age In the 1861 census ten years later is 75, she having aged 5 years against Richard's 2 years. Again, depending on which census is correct ( if either!), Christianne was either born in 1781 or 1786, also in Ireland

Ontario census records show that Richard, Christianne, John and Robert were members of the Church of England, and I assume that while still in Ireland they would have been members of the Church or Ireland.

According to information given by Robert in the 1901 Ontario census, the family emigrated from Ireland to Canada in 1840.

Richard and Christianne appear to have initially settled in Cartwright township, Durham County, Ontario, as this is where they were enumerated in the 1851 census, I believe John and family (and perhaps Robert) lived In the neighbouring township of Reach in Ontario county (this is where John's children were born) but the 1851 census records for this township are missing.

John married one Mary Anne Rogers, who was born in Ireland about 1813. My guess is that they married about 1845 (their first child was born in 1847), probably in Ontario after the family emigrated to Canada.

Robert married one Ann Martin, born in Ireland about 1834. Their first child was born about 1859, and I assume that Robert and Ann Married about 1857 or 1858.

Richard's occupation as per the 1851 census is given as "labourer". By 1854, Richard, John and Robert had all re-located to Wallace township, Perth county, Ontario and this is where they were enumerated for the 1861 census. The occupation given for both John and Robert in this census was "farmer". I don't know what Richard and his sons did for a living in Ireland, but land titles documents in Ontario show that all three could write their names and, presumably, could read as well. I wonder if this might be a clue as to where in Fermanagh they may have lived. That is, would it have been more likely that they learned to read and write if they lived in a larger town like Enniskillen than if they lived in a more rural area of Fermanagh?

I have conducted searches with FamilySearch.org and Ancestry, and have looked at online records of PRONI, but without any result. I wonder if anyone reading this post may by chance have come across the same names (particularly that of Christianne Johnston) or might have some brilliant ideas about where I might concentrate my search.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KerryJohnston... 17 Feb 2014 1:10PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 9 Mar 2014 4:42AM GMT 
clawlis 14 Mar 2014 11:57AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 14 Mar 2014 3:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions