Search for content in message boards

McWalter/Qualter

Replies: 10

Re: McWalter/Qualter

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Debbie,

I’m not a descendant, but found the marriage index for a Patrick Dowling and a Bridget Qualter that may pertain to your Dowling/Qualter ancestors. The index, found at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Galway (West), shows that Patrick and Bridget were married in the Dunmore Catholic Church in 1835. The index is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Dowling Patrick 1835 Parish: DUNMORE (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Galway (West)
Surname: Dowling
First Name: Patrick
Spouse's Surname: Qualter
Spouse's First Name: Bridget
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1835

Parish/District: Parish: DUNMORE (RC)
____

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the marriage index for Patrick and Bridget that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain a transcription of the record from the IFHF. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcription. The IFHF website has more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=78

Purchasing transcriptions from the IFHF up until October 14, 2013, will be 40% off.

One advantage of ordering records from the IFHF is that as soon as credit card information is processed, the record is sent to your computer, so that you don’t have to wait very long to view it.

The marriage transcription may provide additional information, such as the exact day and month of the marriage, the name or names of witnesses to the marriage, as well as the name of the clergyman who married John and Elizabeth.

To view a sample Catholic Church marriage transcription from the IFHF, go to:
http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=samplerecords#chmarr...

The Catholic Church in Dunmore is called the Church of Our Lady and St. Nicholas. To see the church on a Google Map of Dunmore, Galway, go to: http://tinyurl.com/ltwh489

Once at the map go to the Zoom-in/Zoom-out gage in the upper left corner of the map, and Zoom-in slightly until the label for the church becomes visible. The church is situated on the Tuam Road or N83, below and to the left of the letter A pointing to Dunmore. Click on the letter A to generate a “Street-view” thumbnail image of the town, then click on the image to enlarge it, and you’ll be dropped off on the Tuam Road. You can then navigate your way down the road to the church on the right. Taking a look at this church it appears it was built in the 20th century, and not in the 19th century when Patrick and Bridget were married, though an older church may have stood on, or near the current church structure when Patrick and Bridget were married.

Next I found the IFHF baptism indexes for six of Patrick and Bridget’s children. These children are: Honor (1835); Richard (1837); Mary (1838); William (1840); Patrick (1845); and Mary (1850).

The indexes show that all the children except Mary (1850), were baptized in the Dunmore Catholic Church. You’ll notice there are two indexes for the baptism of Mary Dowling, one for the year 1838, and one for the year 1850. This signifies the Mary baptized in 1838 had died. The Mary Dowling baptized in 1850, was baptized in the Tuam Catholic Church, as you will see a little later.

I also found one other baptism index. This is for the baptism of Winifred Dowling in the Dunmore Catholic Church in 1843. The index shows her parents were Patrick Dowling and Mary Qualter. I believe Mary Qualter may also refer to Bridget, as her first and middle names may have been Bridget Mary, or Bridget Maria. Or, it’s possible that the priest or clerk who recorded the marriage, wrote that Winifred’s mother was Mary, rather than Bridget. I’ve included Winifred’s baptism index in chronological order with the indexes for the six other Dowling children below, making for a total of seven baptisms:

1 match for the search criteria: Dowling Honor 1835 Parish: DUNMORE (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Galway (West)
First Name: Honor
Father's Surname: Dowling
Father's First Name: Patrick
Mother's Surname: Qualter
Mother's First Name: Bridget

Year: 1835

Parish/District: DUNMORE (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Dowling Richard 1837 Parish: DUNMORE (RC)

First Name: Richard

Year: 1837

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dowling Mary 1838 Parish: DUNMORE (RC)

First Name: Mary

Year: 1838

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dowling William 1840 Parish: DUNMORE (RC)

First Name: William

Year: 1840

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dowling Winifred 1843 Parish: DUNMORE (RC)

First Name: Winifred
Mother's First Name: Mary

Year: 1843

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dowling Patrick 1845 Parish: DUNMORE (RC)

First Name: Patrick

Year: 1845

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dowling Mary 1850 Parish: TUAM (RC)

First Name: Mary

Year: 1850

Parish/District: TUAM (RC)
____

Next I wanted to see if I could locate the baptism index for Patrick Dowling in Tuam. The Tuam Catholic registers of baptism and marriage cover the years 1790-1900. On the other hand, if Patrick had been born in or near Dunmore, there won’t be a baptism record for him in the Dunmore Catholic Church, nor a marriage record for his parents, as the IFHF website shows the Dunmore Catholic registers of baptism and marriage are extent from 1833-1900.

I figured that if Patrick Dowling and Bridget Qualter were married in 1835, they would have been born circa 1815, plus or minus 5 years. I didn’t uncover a baptism index for Patrick Dowling in Tuam, or anywhere else in County Galway for the years 1810-1820. I expanded the search for all of County Galway back to 1790, but again was unsuccessful in the search. If Patrick had been born in Tuam, it’s possible his baptism record is too faded to read, or the page on which his baptism was recorded may have been damaged. There’s always the possibility too that he was born in another Catholic parish in Galway whose records do not extend far enough back in time to have recorded his baptism, Dunmore, being an example. Another possibility is that the IFHF have not yet to date compiled the records of the church in which Patrick was baptized.

I then wanted to see if I could find a baptism index for Bridget Qualter at the IFHF website for the years 1810-1820. I found one index showing the baptism of a Bridget Qualter recorded in the Tuam Catholic Church in 1814. The IFHF website does not automatically provide you with the first or last names of a child’s parents in a birth or baptism index. You either have to know who the parents were, or you have to order a transcription of the event to find out who they were. The other option is to guess the first names of the child’s parents, so as not to expend any credits you may have available.

I submitted a few names to the IFHF search engine for Bridget’s father. The search engine finally accepted Michael. After a few submissions for the name of Bridget’s mother, the search engine accepted Mary. I didn’t try to guess what Mary’s maiden name was. Debbie, you’ll have to order the baptism transcription from the IFHF to learn what Mary’s maiden name was, if you believe this index pertains to the baptism of your Bridget Qualter:

1 match for the search criteria: Qualter Bridget 1814 Parish: TUAM (RC)

Surname: Qualter
First Name: Bridget
Father's Surname: Qualter
Father's First Name: Michael
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Mary

Year: 1814

Parish/District: TUAM (RC)
____

Kind Regards, and I wish you all the best with your visit to Galway in November.

Dave Boylan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RitaMQ 27 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
ellen and len 27 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Diana_Catalan... 6 Aug 2003 10:30PM GMT 
mcwalter1 16 May 2004 7:53AM GMT 
tobywhiteley 18 Apr 2006 4:42PM GMT 
Steve McWalter 19 Apr 2006 6:21PM GMT 
Toby Whiteley 20 Apr 2006 9:28AM GMT 
Reg Shepherd 23 Sep 2012 11:09PM GMT 
kdjordan77 6 Sep 2013 8:15PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 30 Sep 2013 2:45AM GMT