Search for content in message boards

Thomas Leonard (1822-1900) / Bridget Connolly (1824-1912)

Replies: 2

Thomas Leonard (1822-1900) / Bridget Connolly (1824-1912)

Posted: 2 Apr 1999 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Oct 2006 8:42AM GMT
Surnames: LEONARD, CONNOLLY
Seeking Information on my great-great grandparents. My gr-gr-grandfather was Thomas Leonard born in Galway in 1822. He married Bridget Connolly (spelling as given on her tomb stone !) born again in Galway in 1824, date of marriage unknown. I can't be more specific as to where in the County they were from, which is one of the pieces of information I am after.

Thomas and Bridget were tenant farmers, who at some point (most likely during the famine) upped sticks and went to Liverpool. My grandmother told that they left Ireland because of problems with absentee landlord (but I guess that wasn't uncommon !). Thomas' occupation in England is given as a gardener.

They had at least 5 children (all believed to have been born in Galway); Mary Leonard (died 1935 in Liverpool; married George Dedicoate), Winefride Leonard (died 1929 in Liverpool; married James Kelly), Peter Leonard, Ellen Leonard (my gr-grandmother; died in Liverpool 1940; married James Farley) and another daughter (name unknown) who emigrated to the USA (possibly Natick Massachusetts) where she married a Malone.

Thomas died in 1900 and is buried in St. Peter and Paul's , Crosby, Liverpool. Bridget died in 1912 and is buried in the same grave. The only other information I have is that Bridget spoke Gaelic as her first language, but again I guess that was not unusual. Before Bridget's death, my grandmother had to search the streets of Liverpool in the early hours of the morning to find a Gaelic speaking priest to hear her last confession.

Any information, help or pointers in the right direction (I'm new to this) will be most gratefully received. Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AnneWolfarth 2 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
irishtwigs 14 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
penelopemarmi... 26 Oct 2012 1:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions