Search for content in message boards

CANAVAN/RIBBON, FAHERTY/MULLEN GALWAY

Replies: 19

Re: CANAVAN/RIBBON, FAHERTY/MULLEN GALWAY

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 9:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
I don't have time to reply due to xmas present wrapping! But if you want to look on your own at what I have, try googling "Heanue ancestry letter" (with the quotes) or puttign that into any search engine. It's a two-part letter written in 1964 by my grandfather's -- even then, ancient -- cousin, Bridget Heanue Coyne of Ardnagreevagh, near Renvyle in far western oceanside Galway. She was Renvyle's unofficial genealogist. I have met several other people online whose relatives contacted her and received massive letters containing their ancestry. Without her efforts, and obviously formidable memory, so much personal history for my family would be gone forever.

You will find many of your surnames within. The only problem is, I don't have anything else that could help you tie you line into what I have. Maybe you can make a later connection (she indicates where some of the lines ended up in the states, Boston, Ct., etc.).

Were you the one who posted a query about Ballynakill? Hre's the 1840s description ...
BALLYNAKILL, a parish, in the barony of BALLYNAHINCH, county of GALWAY; and province of CONNAUGHT,4 miles (N.) from Clifden; containing 7183 inhabitants.

This parish is situated on the bay of the same name on the western coast, and comprehends within its limits Claggin bay, and one side of Killery harbour, with the islands of Ilane-a-green or Crump, Innisbruin, Bradilan, and Freachillan; it comprises 5142 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.

The male inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture, and occasionally in the herring fishery ; and the females in spinning woollen yarn and knitting stockings. During the famine that prevailed on this part of the coast in 1831, the inhabitants of this parish were reduced to the greatest distress, and 1500 families must have perished but for the prompt relief afforded. At Derry-Inver, within the bay of Ballynakill, a small pier has been erected by Government, which has proved very useful for trade and the fisheries, and has contributed much to the improvement of the surrounding district. The entrance to Claggin bay is easy, the ground clean and good, and the shelter tolerable, with depth of water sufficient for any ship. On the south side the Board of Fisheries has constructed a small pier opposite to the anchorage ground, which has been found to be very beneficial.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
irish719 23 Dec 2006 12:49AM GMT 
laurakellyhur... 23 Dec 2006 4:05PM GMT 
kitzkamp 9 Dec 2007 7:13PM GMT 
irish719 10 Dec 2007 2:58AM GMT 
Oregon1850 1 Feb 2008 1:56AM GMT 
Oregon1850 1 Feb 2008 1:54AM GMT 
Oregon1850 1 Feb 2008 1:30AM GMT 
SHEFFIELD_201... 10 Nov 2008 2:41AM GMT 
SHEFFIELD_201... 10 Nov 2008 2:51AM GMT 
djheaton8 29 Jan 2013 10:37PM GMT 
per page