Search for content in message boards

James Fahy, Clogher Upper, Kiltullagh, Co. Roscommon, Ireland

Replies: 12

Re: James Fahy, Clogher Upper, Kiltullagh, Co. Roscommon, Ireland

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 12:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you for your response and sorry to hear of your recent illness, so here's the info I have come across:
James Fahy Birth 1826 (originally thought Family came from Logboy, Ballyhaunis area as my Mom’s Mother Bea Fahy indicated this to her)

James or perhaps his family were evicted at some time from Granlahan/Cloonfad area, perhaps Logboy

He married Kate Garvey, Glenamaddy in Ardeevin Church on 26 Nov 1878

On church record his father was listed as a Michael Fahy. No mother is listed.

They were married by Patrick J. O’ Brien, PP with Thomas Garvey and Mary Murphy as witnesses.

James Fahy and Kate Garvey had land property in Farragher (Six Mile House) Roscommon which we believe they sold at some time.

James Fahy died on the 19th October 1889 and is buried along with Kate Garvey in the old Cemetery, Glenamaddy

The late Fr. Des Fahy (Birth; Ballyhaunis) once told Pat Fahy, Glenamaddy they were related. Due to the association of Logboy with Ballyhaunis, I have a feeling this is the connection to James Fahy. Fr. Des’s brother (Jarlath Fahy; Ballyhaunis) however; was unable to unravel the connection.

When I searched the Irish Roots/Irish Family History Foundation Genealogy site for a James Fahy (approx dob 1826 +/- 5 years) with a father Michael who was baptised in either counties Galway, Mayo and Roscommon. One record was returned from Co. Roscommon. When I paid to see the baptisimal record James Mother was listed as a Brigid Gavekan with sponsors Daniel Gavekan and Sarah Brennan. Gavekan is a variant of the surname Gavigan

Searching the Griffiths Valuation of Ireland, a Michael Fahy, Parish of Kiltullagh, Townland Clogher Upper tenant of Arthur O'Conor 12a Mary Fahy - House; 12b Thomas Fahy; 13a Michael, house and land, sharing 43.2._8 was identified. This record seemed to tie into the Cloonfad/Granlahan association

This was pretty much all the info I had been able to ascertain until recently regarding my great grandfather James Fahy.
To throw a spanner into the works, Griffith Evaluation indicates that Bridget Fahy (perhaps nee Gavekan) owned the premises in Glenamaddy (where Meehans/Mooneys shop currently is, and including the site of the current church in Glenamaddy and the old Graveyard. As such, the Fahy’s must have been settled in Glenamaddy at that time and Kate Garvey married into the property. This may indicate that lands in Farragher and perhaps also in Clogher upper and Glenamaddy were owned by this particular Fahy Family. We also managed to locate an advertisement in a liverpool paper from the late 1800's there the Fahy's in Glenamddy were advertising to sell mangles/beet so the family were pretty industrious and owned much of the land area on Church street in Glenamaddy. Let me know if this rings a bell. Thanks!
David

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
brickdavid 5 Aug 2010 5:20AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 17 Aug 2010 5:32AM GMT 
b_maloney_cah... 16 Sep 2011 8:23AM GMT 
brickdavid 19 Sep 2011 7:30PM GMT 
youngwada 27 Oct 2011 3:03AM GMT 
brickdavid 2 Nov 2011 5:49AM GMT 
b_maloney_cah... 15 Feb 2013 12:29AM GMT 
brickdavid 15 Feb 2013 7:20PM GMT 
brickdavid 10 Jul 2013 8:44PM GMT 
brickdavid 2 Nov 2011 5:48AM GMT