Search for content in message boards

Mannion Of Galway

Replies: 1

Re: Mannion Of Galway

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 10:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello connsix,

I located the baptism index for a Lawrence Mannion at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for Galway (East). This index shows that he was baptized in the Tynagh Roman Catholic Church in 1818. I’m not sure if this baptism pertains to your Laurence Mannion however, though it may.

Indexes at the IFHF do not automatically include the names of the parents. You either have to know who the parents were, find out who they were through additional research, or guess who they were. The other option would be to purchase a transcription of the baptism to find out who they were.

The IFHF website can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the indexes that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain baptism transcriptions. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcriptions. The IFHF website will have more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions.

The baptism index for Laurence Mannion is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Mannion (plus variants) Laurence 1818 Parish: TYNAGH (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Galway (East)
Surname: Mannion
First Name: Laurence
Father's Surname: Mannion
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1818

Parish/District: TYNAGH (RC)
____

Next I wanted to see if I could guess the first names of Laurence’s parents. After a few tries the IFHF search engine accepted Laurence for his father. After a few more tries the search engine accepted Judith as the first name for his mother.

The revised baptism index for Laurence follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Mannion (plus variants) Laurence 1818 Parish: TYNAGH (RC)

Father's First Name: Laurence
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Judith

____

I then wanted to see if I could find Judith’s maiden name, but not by guessing. I went to the Irish Times genealogy website link for the most popular names in the Civil Parish and Catholic Parish of Tynagh, as found in an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation, which was enumerated in Tynagh in 1855. This enumeration would have taken place several years after Laurence’s birth and baptism, but many people who didn’t immigrate during, or immediately after the Great Famine, lived in the same towns and parishes where their parents and grandparents had lived before them.

The Irish Times link can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/96oyrwa

At the top left of the page you’ll notice the names of the townlands situated in the Civil Parish of Tynagh. Scroll down the page until you come to the 10 most common surnames found in the parish as enumerated in Griffiths Valuation in 1855. You’ll see the two most common surnames in the parish were Kelly and Nugent, with 19 households enumerated in Griffiths Valuation.

The names are:

Most common surnames in Tynagh in 1855

Surname Households

Kelly 19
Nugent 19
Burke 12
Bohan 9
Noone 8
Broderic 7
Carey 7
Donoho 7
Mitchell 7
Robinson 7
____

Next, I took each of the names in the list above and typed them into the Mother’s Surname portion of the search engine for the baptism of Laurence Mannion. The search engine rejected all the names except for the second to the last surname, Mitchell. Thus, Judith’s maiden name was Mitchell. And so, Laurence’s parents were Laurence Mannion and Judith Mitchell.

The second revised baptism index for Laurence follows:

Mother's Surname: Mitchell

____

I also found that Laurence and Judith Mitchell Mannion had one other child baptized in the Tynagh Catholic Church. This is the 1820 baptism for Mary. I had to guess what her first name was:

1 match for the search criteria: Mannion (plus variants) Mary 1820 Parish: TYNAGH (RC)

First Name: Mary
Mother's Surname: Mitchell

Year: 1820

____

Again, I’m not sure that the baptism index for Laurence Mannion above is the person you are looking for. But, there is the possibility that he is, given that his date of baptism is close to the 1816 date of birth that you have for him. His age in any English census records you found for him, or his age in his death record, if you had uncovered that, may be off by a few years.

To see a Catholic Parish map of East Galway showing the location of the Tynagh Catholic Parish, go to the Irish Times website link at: http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/ga...

The Tynagh Catholic Parish is located in the lower-right hand portion of the map, and borders the Catholic Parishes of Portumna and Woodford. It also border County Tipperary.

Tom view a Google Map showing the location of Tynagh in Galway, go to: http://tinyurl.com/8rlhnyc

Once at the map you’ll notice that the letter A is pointing to Tynagh. Left-click on the A to generate a “Street view” thumb-nail photo of the town. Click on the Photo to enlarge it and you’ll be able to take a tour of the streets of Tynagh with your mouse and pointer.

The Mannion family may have lived in Tynagh or may have resided in one of the townlands surrounding Tynagh.

Next I found a marriage index at the IFHF website for a Laurence Mannion. The index shows he married in the Killeenadeema Catholic Church in 1838. If you go back to the Irish Times Catholic Parish map, you’ll see that Killeenadeema was located just to the west of Tynagh, after going through Ballinakill.

The marriage index does not give the name of his wife:

1 match for the search criteria: Mannion (plus variants) Laurence 1836 Parish: KILLEENADEEMA (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Galway (East)
Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name:
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1836

Parish/District: Parish: KILLEENADEEMA (RC)
____

I made several guesses as to the first name of Laurence’s wife. The IFHF search engine accepted Bridget;

1 match for the search criteria: Mannion (plus variants) Laurence 1836 Parish: KILLEENADEEMA (RC)

Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name: Bridget
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

I then went back to the Irish Times website link for the 10 most common surnames found in Killeenadeema in Griffiths Valuation in 1855. This link can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/9je4o52

The surnames are listed below:

Most common surnames in Killeenadeema in 1855

Surname Households

Kelly 19
Connare 16
Scully 15
Forde 14
Murray 14
Conway 12
Fahy 10
Murphy 10
Deely 9
Burke 8
____

Again, I took each of the surnames above to see if the IFHF search engine would accept any of them for Bridget’s maiden name. The search engine accepted the last name on the list—Burke.

The revised marriage index below shows that Laurence Mannion had married Bridget Burke:

Spouse's Surname: Burke
Spouse's First Name: Bridget
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

I then found the baptism indexes for three children of Laurence Mannion and Bridget Burke. The children were baptized in the Killeenadeema Catholic Church. These children are: Patrick (1837); John (1838); and William (1843).

The baptism indexes follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Mannion (plus variants) Patrick 1837 Parish: KILLEENADEEMA (RC)

First Name: Patrick
Mother's Surname: Burke
Mother's First Name: Bridget

Year: 1837

Parish/District: KILLEENADEEMA (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Mannion (plus variants) John 1838 Parish: KILLEENADEEMA (RC)

First Name: John

Year: 1838

____

1 match for the search criteria: Mannion (plus variants) William 1843 Parish: KILLEENADEEMA (RC)

First Name: William

Year: 1843

____

To view a Google Map of Killeenadeema, Galway, go to: http://tinyurl.com/9v7yzpz

Once at the map left-click on the letter A and then click on the thumbnail photo to take a tour of the town.

Kind Regards,

Dave Boylan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
connsix 3 Sep 2012 10:00AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 28 Oct 2012 4:13AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions