Search for content in message boards

George Clarke County Galway Ireland

Replies: 3

Re: George Clarke County Galway Ireland

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
A bit late for the worst of many Potato Famine's in Ireland which dates from 1840-1850's but I'm sure the recovery would take a long time.
I was doing some research through an estate's records in Wicklow and the border with Wexford and the Estate Manager was writing in 1830 about the effects of the potato famine in Wexford and seeing those 'wretches' walking the roads from Wexford into Wicklow and talking about the
blight affecting the potato.

I had to look it up, it was called the Great Famine 1845 & 1852 were the worst years with 1,000,000. dying and the same amount emmigrating, population of Ireland dropped by 25-30%. Looks like there was a famine 1740-1741 as well. The irish were basically left to die by their British Landowners as while this was going on Ireland was shipping, cattle, sheep, barley, oats etc. to the UK. The famine started in Europe in infected potato's from the US then to England and then to Ireland. The irish were affected the most due to having just one kind of potato in the worst areas, whereas in the north there was more than 1 type of potato.

I just saw a film again two weeks ago, a Canadian film on TV called 'A Ship called Hannah', from Ireland to Canada. A sad story.
Grosse Ille in Quebec was a quarantine station as the ships came to Ireland with not only the starving but the sick, typhoid etc was also killing people. I'm sure you can get the film on the computer. I believe it was a National Film Board production. They trace a Canadian family back to Ireland.

Good luck. Annette
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pammissen 22 Oct 2012 9:06PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 23 Oct 2012 12:56PM GMT 
pammissen 23 Oct 2012 7:05PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 24 Oct 2012 4:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic