Search for content in message boards

DEMOY families of Galway

Replies: 12

Re: DEMOY families of Galway

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 5:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Suzanne,

I’m not a descendant, but based on the conversion you and Annette have had on the Ancestry.com message board for County Galway, I located the marriage index for John Demoy and Maria Riley at the FreeBMD website at: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

The index shows that John and Maria’s marriage was recorded in the Chesterfield (Derbyshire) Registration District for the September quarter of 1881.

As you’ll see in a transcription of the index below, there is another couple whose marriage was also recorded in the Chesterfield district in the September quarter of 1881. This couple is John Michael Clare and Mary Gertrude Fitzpatrick. People in the index are listed alphabetically by their last names.

Please see the index:

Marriage, September Quarter 1881

John Michael Clare

John Demoy

Mary Gertrude Fitzpatrick

Maria Riley

Registration District: Chesterfield

Volume: 7b

Page: 970
____

The General Register Office (GRO) in Southport, England, holds civil birth, marriage, and death records for England and Wales. The index shows that John and Maria’s marriage can be found in Volume 7b, Page 970 of the GRO registers. You can order the marriage cert online from the GRO website at the following link:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

The marriage record may contain more information, such as the exact date of the marriage, ages of the groom and bride, their address at the time of marriage, occupations, and the names of their fathers and their fathers’ occupations. The marriage certificate may also include the church where the marriage took place, the name of the clergyman who married them, the names of the witnesses to the marriage, and the name of the registrar who recorded the marriage.

Next I found civil birth index for a child that may be John and Maria’s daughter. This index is for Margaret Ann Demoy, uncovered at the FreeBMD website. The index shows Margaret’s birth was recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the March quarter of 1883. Her birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 719 of the GRO registers. You can order her birth record from the GRO in Southport:

Birth, March Quarter 1883

Margaret Ann Demoy

Page: 719
____

I also found Margaret’s baptism index at the Latter Day Saints (LDS) website at:
https://www.familysearch.org/search

The baptism index shows that Margaret Annie Demoy was baptized in the Annunciation Catholic Church on 12 December 1882. Her parents are not listed in the index:

Margaret Annie Demoy, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Margaret Annie Demoy
Christening Date: 12 Dec 1882
Christening Place: Annunciation Church, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03075-8
System Origin: England-EASy
Reference ID:

GS Film number: 1942082 = Church records for the Annunciation Church, Chesterfield, 1737-1950:
Catholic Church. The Annunciation Church (Chesterfield, Derbyshire)

Collection: Margaret Annie Demoy, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N16B-9YX

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N16B-9YX : accessed 02 Jul 2013), Margaret Annie Demoy, 12 Dec 1882.
____

Margaret’s baptism record can be found in LDS microfilm number 1942082. You can order this film from your nearest Family History Center. Some libraries will also order LDS microfilms for you for an additional fee.

I then found the Annunciation Catholic Church baptism index for a Mary Demoy at the LDS website. She too may be John and Maria’s daughter. The index shows Mary was baptized on 5 October 1884. Like Margaret’s baptism index, Mary’s baptism index does not contain give the names of her parents. Like Margaret’s baptism, Mary’s baptism record can be found in LDS microfilm number 1942082:

Mary Demoy, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Mary Demoy
Christening Date: 05 Oct 1884
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Reference ID:

GS Film number: 1942082 = Church records for the Annunciation Church, Chesterfield, 1737-1950:

Collection: Mary Demoy, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQH3-KN1

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQH3-KN1 : accessed 02 Jul 2013), Mary Demoy, 05 Oct 1884
____

For information about the Annunciation Catholic Church, 2 Spencer Street, Chesterfield, go to the following links:

http://annunciation.org.uk/parish/?page_id=428

http://annunciation.org.uk/parish/?page_id=163

The LDS have also filmed the parish registers for the Annunciation Catholic Church, with baptism, marriage, and death records going back to the year 1737. See the LDS link for the film number:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/970048

I didn’t find a civil birth index for a Mary Demoy at the FreeBMD website, but I did uncover the birth index for a Mary “Demie,” that may pertain to her, as her last may could have been misspelled by the local registrar who recorded the birth. The index shows that Mary’s birth was recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the December quarter of 1884. The December quarter includes the months of October, November, and December. The Annunciation Church baptism index for Mary noted above, shows that she was baptized in October.

Mary’s birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 714 of the GRO registers:

Birth, December Quarter 1884

Mary Demie

Page: 714
____

Earlier the FreeBMD marriage index had shown that John Demoy and Maria Riley were married in the Chesterfield Registration District for the September quarter of 1881. The September quarter includes the months of July, August, and September.

I next wanted to see if I could find John Demoy and Maria Riley individually in the 1881 census of England, which counted every member of a household on the night of April 3, 1881. This means the census would have been taken before John Demoy and Maria Riley were married.

I first looked for John Demoy in the 1881census. I didn’t find him, but I did locate people who may be relatives of his. This is the family of 30 year old Patrick Demoy and his 40 year old wife Margaret, living in an address of 17 South Place, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. Patrick’s occupation is “Beerhouse Keeper,” while Margaret is listed as the Beerhouse Keeper’s Wife. The census shows that Patrick and Margaret were born in Ireland.

In the household with Patrick and Margaret are four lodgers. One of the lodgers works as a furnace labourer, while the other three are coal miners. What this indicates is that while Patrick was operating a beerhouse, Margaret was operating a lodging house, adding to the income.

The 1881 census transcription below is from the Ancestry.com website:

1881 England Census

Civil Parish: Chesterfield
County/Island: Derbyshire

Street Address: 17 South Place

Sub-registration District: Chesterfield
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Folio: 48
Page Number: 31

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Where Born

Patrick Demoy, Head, Married, Male, 30, Beerhouse Keeper, Ireland
Margaret Demoy, Wife, Married, Female, 40, Beerhouse Keeper's Wife, Ireland
Patrick Murphy, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 25, Iron Furnace Labourer, Ireland
Michael Foy, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 40, Coal Miner, Ireland
Patrick Nestor, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 50, Coal Miner, Ireland
John Martin, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 28, Coal Miner, Ireland

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3431; Folio: 48; Page: 31; GSU roll: 1341820.
____

I also looked for John Demoy in the 1871 census in Chesterfield, and anywhere in England, but didn’t find him.

Next I looked for Maria Riley in the 1881 census in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. I found a Mary Riley, but this census shows she was 26 years old, placing her year of birth circa 1855. U.S. census records show that Maria was born circa 1857-1858. The 1881 census however, could be off a few years concerning her age.

The census shows that Maria is living in the household of 65 year old Margaret Ferguson, in an address of 13 Sheffield Road, Chesterfield. Margaret was born in Ireland. Maria is listed as Margaret’s niece. Maria’s occupation appears to be cotton doubler, and her place of birth, Chesterfield. Also in the household with Margaret are her three daughters, all born in Chesterfield. These daughters are 29 year old Kate, employed as a cotton doubler; 24 year old Margaret, employed as a cotton work overlooker; and 18 year old Oney, working as a dressmaker.

The 1881 census transcription, from Ancestry.com, is below:

1881 England Census

Street Address: 13 Sheffield Rd

ED, institution, or vessel: 13

Piece: 3432
Folio: 24
Page Number: 42

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Where Born

Margaret Ferguson, Head, Widow, Female, 65, Ireland
Kate Ferguson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 29, Doubler Cotton, Derbys Ches
Margaret Ferguson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 24, Overlooker Cotton Work, Derbys Ches
Oney Ferguson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 18, Dress Maker, Derbys Ches
Maria Riley, Niece, Unmarried, Female, 26, Doubler Cotton, Derbys Ches

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3432; Folio: 24; Page: 42; GSU roll: 1341821.
____

Suzanne, if you order the marriage record for John Demoy and Maria Riley, see if any Fergusons are listed as witnesses to the wedding.

Your information shows that Maria’s parents were Patrick Riley and Margaret Callighan. I next wanted to see if I could find Maria Riley in the 1871 census in Chesterfield, living in the household of her parents, Patrick and Margaret Riley.

I located the Riley family at Ancestry.com. The index to the census shows the head of the household is Patrick Riley, while the surname for the rest of the family members in the index is incorrectly transcribed as “Beley.” Also the census incorrectly transcribed Maria’s name as Hannah. When accessing a copy of the original 1871 census, and then enlarging it, her name is actually spelled Mariah, which your records show was her middle name. I can see why these transcription errors occurred, as the handwriting in this census is difficult to make out.

Patrick Riley and his family are shown to be living in an address of 14 Church Lane, Chesterfield. Patrick is shown to be 48 years old. I can’t make out his occupation however, but the census shows that he was born in County Mayo, while his 50 year old wife Margaret was born in County Sligo. There are three children in the household, all born in Chesterfield. The oldest is 15 year old Mariah, employed as a factory worker; she is followed by 11 year old Margaret and 7 year old Ann. Margaret and Ann are listed as scholars, that is, students.

Two households away, at 18 Church Lane, is the family of 50 year old John and 50 year old Margaret “Furguson,” who were born in County Mayo. I believe the Margaret Furguson in this census is the same Margaret Ferguson who is a widow in the 1881 census noted above.

The 1881 census shows that John Furguson is employed as a furnace man. In the household with John and Margaret are four daughters and a son, all born in Chesterfield. These children are 19 year old Catherine Ferguson, employed as a factory worker; 15 year old Mary Ferguson, also employed as a factory worker; 13 year old Margaret, employed as a servant; 11 year old Edward, a scholar; and 8 year old Annie, also a scholar.

The census transcriptions for the Riley and Ferguson families are below:

1871 England Census

Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
Town: Chesterfield

Street Address: 14 Church Lane

ED, institution, or vessel: 10

Household Schedule Number: 10
Piece: 3610
Folio: 65
Page Number: 2

Patrick Riley, Head, Married, Male, 48, ?, Co. Mayo Ireland
Margaret Riley, Wife, Married, Female, 50, Co. Sligo Ireland
Mariah Riley, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 15, Factory Worker, Chesterfield Derbyshire
Margaret Riley, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 11, Scholar, Chesterfield Derbyshire
Ann Riley, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 7, Scholar, Chesterfield Derbyshire

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3610; Folio: 65; Page: 2; GSU roll: 839781.
____

1871 England Census

Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary

Street Address: 18 Church Lane

Household Schedule Number: 12
Piece: 3610
Folio: 66
Page Number: 3

John Furgeson, Head, married, Male, 50, Furnace Man, Co. Mayo Ireland
Margaret Furgeson, Wife, Married, Female, 50, Co. Mayo Ireland
Catherine Furgeson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 19, Factory Worker, Chesterfield Derbyshire
Mary Furgeson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 15, Factory Worker, Chesterfield Derbyshire
Margaret Furgeson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 13, Servant at House, Chesterfield Derbyshire
Edward Furgeson, Son, Unmarried, Male, 11, Scholar, Chesterfield Derbyshire
Annie Furgeson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 8, Scholar, Chesterfield Derbyshire

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3610; Folio: 66; Page: 3; GSU roll: 839781.
____

I then looked for and found the Riley family in the 1861 census, in an address of Church Lane, Chesterfield, where they were still to be found 10 years later in the 1871 census.

In the 1861 census Patrick Riley is shown to be employed as a hawker of smallware, born in Westport, Ireland. Westport is in County Mayo. Patrick’s 35 year old wife Margaret was born in Sligo. I don’t know if this means that Margaret was born in Sligo Town, or County Sligo. In the household with Patrick and Margaret are three of their children, all born in Chesterfield. These are 8 year old Edward, 5 year old Maria, and 8 month old Margaret. Also in the household is Patrick’s widowed aunt, 62 year old Hannah Morn. Her occupation is crossed out in the census. She too was born in Westport.

The 1861 census for the Riley family, from Ancestry.com, follows:

1861 England Census

Street Address: Church Lane

ED, institution, or vessel: 8

Piece: 2528
Folio: 48
Page Number: 10

Patrick Riley, Head, Married, Male, 30, Hawker Smallware, Ireland, Westport
Margaret Riley, Wife, Married, Female, 35, Ireland, Sligo
Edward Riley, Son, Male, 8, Derbyshire Chesterfield
Maria Riley, Daughter, Female, 5, Chesterfield
Margaret Riley, Daughter, Female, 8 Months, Chesterfield
Hannah Morn, Aunt, Widow, Female, 62, Ireland, Westport

Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 2528; Folio: 48; Page: 10; GSU roll: 542984.
____

I also located the family of John and Margaret Ferguson in the 1861 census, living in an address of Holywell Street, Chesterfield. The census shows that John Ferguson is a 41 year old coal miner born in Ireland. His 40 year old wife Margaret was also born in Ireland. John and Margaret have five children in the household with them, all born in Chesterfield. These children are 14 year old Bridget; 9 year old Catherine; 5 year old Mary; 3 year old Margaret; and 1 year old Edward. Also in the household are five lodgers, all coal miners and all born in Ireland. One of the lodgers is James Riley. I don’t know if he was a relative of John or Margaret’s, or related to Patrick Riley.

The 1861 census from Ancestry.com is below:

1861 England Census

Street Address: Holywell Street

Piece: 2528
Folio: 83

John Ferguson, Head, Married, Male, 41, Coal Miner, Ireland
Margaret Ferguson, Wife, Married, Female, 40, Ireland
Bridget Ferguson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 14, Chestf Derbyshire
Catherine Ferguson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 9, Chestf Derbyshire
Mary Ferguson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 5, Chestf Derbyshire
Margaret Ferguson, Daughter, Unmarried, Female, 3, Chestf Derbyshire
Edward Ferguson, Son, Unmarried, Male, 1, Chestf Derbyshire
Thos Mitchel, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 41, Coal Miner, Ireland
John Garvey, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 36, Coal Miner, Ireland
James Riley, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 33, Coal Miner, Ireland
Anthony Boamah, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 24, Coal Miner, Ireland
Pat Chawer, Unmarried, Male, 18, Coal Miner, Ireland

Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 2528; Folio: 83; Page: 3; GSU roll: 542984.
____

Earlier, the 1861 census had shown that the oldest child in the household of Patrick and Margaret Riley in Church Lane, was 8 year old Edward. Edward’s age of 8 years old in 1861 places his year of birth circa 1853. Knowing that Edward was born around 1853, I figured there was the possibility his parents would have been married and counted in the 1851 census.

I found 41 year old general labourer Patrick “Rieley” and his 27 year old wife Margaret in the 1861 census residing as “Lodgers” in the household of 40 year old agricultural labourer, Thomas Gerety and Thomas’s 41 year old wife Mary, and their four children, in an address of Knifesmith Gate, Chesterfield. All the Geretys were born in Ireland. The census shows that Patrick and Mary Riley were married, and also born in Ireland. A “Visitor” in the Gerety household is 22 year old James Calaghan, an ironstone miner born in Ireland. Your records show that Margaret’s maiden name was “Callighan,” and so I figured James may have been Margaret’s brother.

Three households away from the Gerety and Rileys is the household of 30 year old colliery labourer, James Daley, his 25 year old wife Bridget, and their 13 month old son, James. The older James Daley and his wife Bridget were born in Ireland, while their son James was born in Chesterfield. Residing as lodgers in the Daley household is 22 year old coal miner, Michael Calaghan, his 22 year old wife Bridget, and their 2 year old son James. Michael and Bridget were born in Ireland while their son James was born in Chesterfield.

The household after the Daleys in the 1851 census is that of 30 year old colliery labourer John Ferguson and his 30 year old wife, Margaret. John and Margaret were born in Ireland, as was their 4 year old daughter, Bridget. In the household with the Fergusons is 66 year old widow, Bridget Riley, born in Ireland. She is listed as a “Lodger,” but I am wondering if Bridget Riley was Margaret Ferguson’s mother, as I suspected there was a connection between the Rileys and Fergusons since these families were enumerated in the Chesterfield census returns up to the 1881 census.

The 1851 census further shows that in the Ferguson household is Bridget Riley’s son, 20 year old James Riley, an unmarried coal miner born in Ireland. There is also an 18 year old colliery labourer named John Riley in the household, but he is listed as a lodger. John Riley was born in Ireland. There are also four other lodgers in the Ferguson household.

The 1851 census also shows another Ferguson family residing in Knifesmith Gate. This is the family of 40 year old foundry labourer, Patrick Ferguson, his 30 year old wife, Bridget, and their 2 year old son Richard. All were born in Ireland. There are also eight lodgers in the household born in Ireland.

This Ferguson family is enumerated just after the family of Thomas and Mary Garety.

The 1851 census transcriptions for all the above are from Ancestry.com:

1851 England Census

Street Address: Knifesmith Gate

Sub-registration District: Ashover
ED, institution, or vessel: 4g

Household Schedule Number: 9
Piece: 2147
Folio: 469
Page Number: 2

Thos Gerety, Head, Married, Male, 40, Ag Labourer, Ireland
Mary Gerety, Wife, Married, Female, 41, Labourer's Wife, Ireland
Michael Gerety, Son, Unmarried, Male, 15, Coal Miner, Ireland
Patrick Gerety, Son, Unmarried, Male, 13, Ireland
John Gerety, Son, Male, 8, Ireland
Margaret Gerety, Daughter, Female, 4 Mo, Ireland
Patrick Rieley, Lodger, Married, Male, 25, General Labourer, Ireland
Margaret Rieley, Lodger, Married, Female, 27, Labourer's Wife, Ireland
James Calaghan, Visitor, Unmarried, Male, 22, Ironstone Miner, Ireland
Michael Bruen, Visitor, Unmarried, Male, 20, Iironstone Moner, Ireland

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2147; Folio: 469; Page: 2; GSU roll: 87779-87780.
____

1851 England Census

Household Schedule Number: 12

James Daley, Head, Married, Male, 30, Colliery Labourer, Ireland
Bridget Daley, Wife, Married, Female, 25, Labourer's Wife, Ireland
James Daley, Son, Male, 13 Mo, Derby Chesterfield
Michael Calaghan, Lodger, Married, Male, 22, Coal Miner, Ireland
Bridget Calaghan, Wife, Married, Female, 22, Miner's Wife, Ireland
James Calaghan, Son, Male, 2, Miner's Son, Derby Chesterfield

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2147; Folio: 469; Page: 3; GSU roll: 87779-87780.
____

1851 England Census

Household Schedule Number: 13
Folio: 470
Page Number: 4

John Ferguson, Head, Married, Male, 30, Colliery Labourer, Ireland
Margaret Ferguson, Wife, Married, Female, 30, Labourer's Wife, Ireland
Bridget Ferguson, Daughter, Female, 4, Labourer's Daughter, Ireland
Bridget Riley, Lodger, Widow, Female, 66, Ireland
James Riley, Son, Unmarried, Male, 20, ironstone Miner, Ireland
Patrick Commons, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 26, Ironstone Moner, Ireland
Austin Ruddin, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 20, Colliery Labourer, Ireland
John Riley, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 18, Colliery Labourer, Ireland
John Tracey, Lodger, Married, Male, 25, Colliery Labourer, Ireland
Ann Tracey, Wife, Married, Female, 28, Labourer's Wife, Ireland

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2147; Folio: 470; Page: 4; GSU roll: 87779-87780.
____

1851 England Census

Household Schedule Number: 10

Patrick Ferguson, Head, Married, Male, 40, Foundry Labourer, Ireland
Bridget Ferguson, Wife, Married, Female, 30, Labourer's Wife, Ireland
Richard Ferguson, Son, Male, 2, Labourer's Son, Derby Chesterfield
John Garnor, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 18, Ag: Labourer, Ireland
William Ests, Married, Male, 50, Ag: Labourer, Ireland
Michael Ests, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 22, Ag: Labourer, Ireland
Mary Malien, Lodger, Married, Female, N.K (Not Known), Labourer's Wife, Ireland
Michael Malien, Son, Male, 6, Scholar, Ireland
Louisa Mason, Lodger, Unmarried, Female, 16, Ireland
James Garagan, Lodger, Widower, Male, 55, Coke Burner's Labourer, Ireland
James Beeber, Lodger, Unmarried, Male, 22, Coal Miner, N.K.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2147; Folio: 469; Page: 3; GSU roll: 87779-87780.
____

The 1851 census helped to establish a time line in which the marriage of Maria Riley’s parents, Patrick Riley and Margaret Callighan took place. The 1851 census shows they have no children, which indicates they would have been married within a year or two of the year 1851. I went to the FreeBMD website to see if I could locate their marriage index, which I believe I did. The index shows the marriage of “Pattrick” Riley and Margaret “Kalligan.” was recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the March quarter of 1850. Their marriage record can be found in Volume 19, Page 429 of the GRO registers. There are also other couples in the index whose marriages were recorded in Chesterfield in the March quarter of 1850. As mentioned earlier people in the index are listed alphabetically by their last names:

Marriages, March Quarter 1850

William Bolton
William Boulton
Alice Bunting
Eliza Green
Margaret Kalligan
Peter Lavender
Alice Moss
Pattrick Riley
SamuelRodgers

Volume: 19

Page: 429
____

I also found what may be the birth index for your Maria Riley. The index shows Maria’s birth recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the June quarter of 1858. Her birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 534 of the GRO registers. I can’t be 100 percent sure this is your Maria Riley as her parents are not listed in the index. You would have to order Maria’s birth record from the GRO in Southport to see if her parents are Patrick Riley and Margaret Callighan/Kalligan, etc:

Birth, June Quarter 1858

Maria Riley

Page: 534
____

IRISH RECORDS

The 1861 census shows that Patrick Riley was born in Westport, Ireland. The 1871 census notes he was born in County Mayo. Westport is located in County Mayo. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westport,_County_Mayo

It’s difficult to determine when Patrick was actually born and baptized in Westport, Mayo, as his ages in the census returns are not consistent. For instance, in the 1871 census he is listed as 48 years old. In the 1861 census he is 30, while in the 1851 census he is 25.

This places his year of birth anywhere from circa 1823 to 1831. When Patrick was born, Westport was located in the Civil Parish of Oughaval. The Catholic Church parish went by the spelling “Aughaval.” According to information at the Irish Times genealogy website, the baptism records for the Aughaval Catholic Church begin in 1845, while marriages in the parish commence on 9 April 1823. This means there will not be a Catholic baptism record for Patrick Riley.

See: http://tinyurl.com/pfa28h3

There won’t be a birth record for Patrick Riley either as the government in Ireland did not begin the civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths for all religious denominations until the year 1864.

The 1851 census for John and Margaret Ferguson shows that in the household with them is 66 year old widow, Bridget Riley, born in Ireland. Bridget may have been Patrick Riley’s mother. She may also have been Margaret Ferguson’s mother. But, I didn’t find a marriage index for a John Ferguson and Margaret Riley

Concerning Patrick Riley’s wife Margaret Callighan, the 1861 and 1871 census returns show she was born in Sligo, but I’m not clear if this means she was born in Sligo Town, or County Sligo. You would have to know where in County Sligo she was born and the names of her parents to begin to look for a baptism record for her.

MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SURNAME DEMOY

I uncovered two more indexes at the FreeBMD website for the surname Demoy.

The first index is for the marriage of a Mary Demoy, recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the September quarter of 1874. The index shows that two couples were married in Chesterfield for the December quarter of 1874, but doesn’t tell you which two people had married one another. The other three individuals in the index are Thomas Laughton, Job Moorhouse, and AnnWoodward.

The marriage record for Mary Demoy can be found in Volume 7b, Page 955 of the GRO registers:

Marriages September Quarter 1874

Mary Demoy
Thomas Laughton
Job Moorhouse
Ann Woodward

Page: 955
____

Next I found out who Mary Demoy had married. This is how. I went to the 1881 census to see if I could find Job Moorhouse in that enumeration. I chose Job Moorhouse because he has the least common first name of the other three people recorded in the 1874 marriage index. Also, if the 1881 census shows that his wife was Ann, and if Ann had any of her relatives in the household with her by the name of Woodward, I would know that Mary Demoy would not have married Job Moorhouse, but would have married Thomas Laughton.

I found Job and Ann Moorhouse in the 1881 census living in an address of 2 Daniels Yard, Chesterfield. In the household with them are their two children, 10 year old Theresa and 7 year old Mabel. Also in the household is 18 year old Sarah Jane Woodward, who I believe would be Ann’s sister. The 1881 census index, not the full transcription for the Moorhouse family, is below:

1881 England Census
about Job Moorhouse
Name: Job Moorhouse
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Ann Moorhouse
Where born: Thurgoland, Yorkshire, England

Street Address: 2 Daniels Yard
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

ED, institution, or vessel: 7

Neighbors:View others on page
Piece: 3431
Folio: 37
Page Number: 10

Household Members: Name Age

Job Moorhouse, 38
Ann Moorhouse, 44
Thersa Moorhouse, 10
Mabel Moorhouse, 7
Sarah Jane Woodward, 18
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3431; Folio: 37; Page: 10; GSU roll: 1341820.
____

By the process of elimination you can say that Mary Demoy had married Thomas Laughton.

I then looked for, but didn’t find the 1881 census for Thomas and Mary Laughton in Chesterfield or Derbyshire.

The second index for the surname Demoy is for the birth of Martin Demoy. The index shows Martin’s birth recorded in the Chesterfield Registration District for the September quarter of 1881. His birth record can be found in Volume 7b, Page 614 of the GRO registers:

Birth, December Quarter 1874

Martin Demoy

Page: 614
____

I next found the baptism index for Martin “Damoy” at the LDS website, showing he was christened in the Annunciation Catholic Church, Chesterfield, on 25 October 1874. His parents are not listed in the index. His baptism will be recorded on LDS microfilm number 1942082. This is the same microfilm number that the baptisms for Margaret Annie Demoy, and Mary Demoy can be found.

The baptism index for Martin follows:

Martin Damoy, "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"

Name: Martin Damoy
Christening Date: 25 Oct 1874
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Reference ID:

Citing this Record
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N16B-96T : accessed 05 Jul 2013), Martin Damoy, 25 Oct 1874.
____

Suzanne, the marriage record for Mary Demoy should tell you who her father is. If her father is John, then there is the possibility that she and your John Demoy were sister and brother. Also, the marriage record may tell you who the witnesses to the marriage were, as one of the witnesses may have been related to her.

Concerning Martin Demoy, his birth record will tell you who his parents were, while his baptism record on the LDS microfilm will tell you who the godparents, or sponsors were. Being that his birth was recorded in Chesterfield, Derbyshire means that he was likely related to your John Demoy.

JOHN DEMOY

The 1900 census for John Demoy in Allen, Washington, Pennsylvania, shows he was 43 years old and born in Ireland. The 1910 census for John Demoy in Allen, Washington, Pennsylvania, shows he was 53 years old and born in Ireland. The census returns are consistent with his age and place of birth. He would have been born circa 1857.

As you’ve realized since you’ve began searching the Demoy surname, the spelling “Demoy,” is extremely rare in Ireland. This may be due to the name having been abbreviated to the variant spelling of Moy. For example, if you look for the surname Demoy in an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation, you won’t find it recorded in any of the 32 counties of Ireland. But, if you look for the surname Moy, you’ll see several entries for the surname, mostly recorded in the Civil Parish of Kilteevoge, County Donegal. The surname was also recorded in the Donegal parishes of Kilnamona, Conwall, Inishkeel, and Templecrone. In addition Griffiths Valuation shows the surname Moy recorded in only one additional county. This is County Limerick, in the Civil parish of Ardagh.

Griffiths valuation can be accessed from the Ask About Ireland website for free at the following link:
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

There are two indexes pages for the Moy surname you can access from the above site. I’ve included these links below for quick viewing:

http://tinyurl.com/m34nsfh

http://tinyurl.com/mxtxa4f

Griffiths Valuation shows three entries for John Moy in County Donegal. One of the entries is for John Moy in the Civil Parish of Conwal, townland of Carrickalangan, and two entries for John Moy in the Civil parish of Kilteevoge. One of these John Moys is leasing property in the townland of Largnalore, while the other John Moy is leasing property in the townland of Cloghan More. Griffiths Valuation was enumerated in County Donegal in the year 1857, which is the approximate year that John Demoy was born. One of the John Moys in Griffiths Valuation in the Civil Parish of Conwal, or in the Civil Parish of Kilteevoge, may be your John Demoy’s father.

Griffiths Valuation, was enumerated in the 32 counties of Ireland between 1847 and 1864, and as mentioned earlier the valuation for County Donegal took place in 1857.

Unlike a census, Griffiths Valuation did not enumerate individual members of a family, such as husband, wife, and children in a household residence. Those named in the valuation were individuals who leased property. Each person who paid to lease the property was called an “Occupier.” The other person listed in Griffiths Valuation was the person who owned the property, or who worked as the middleman for the owner.

What this means is, unless you paid a landlord to lease a house or land, you would not have been counted in Griffiths Valuation.

Your information shows that the younger John Demoy’s mother was Margaret Flaherty. I looked for the name Flaherty in the civil parishes of Conwal and Kilteevoge in Griffiths Valuation, but didn’t find it. This doesn’t mean there may not have been Flahertys residing in the parishes of Conwal and Kilteevoge. It means that no one with that surname paid a landlord to lease property. It’s possible the Flaherty family lived in a house with the rent paid by someone with a different surname.

After finding the entries for John Moy in Griffiths Valuation in County Donegal, I wanted to see if I could find the baptism index for your John Moy, who would have been baptized about 1857.

This search was conducted at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Donegal. I looked for the baptism of a John Demoy/Moy for a range of years, spanning 1852 to 1862, but did not find a baptism index for a John Demoy whose parents were John Demoy and Margaret Flaherty.

I did find one index for a John Demoy at the IFHF website for County Donegal whose baptism was recorded in the Cloghan Catholic Church in 1858. As mentioned above, one of the John Moys in Griffiths Valuation is shown to be leasing property in the townland of Cloghan More, Civil parish of Kilteevoge.

Birth and baptism indexes at the IFHF do not automatically provide you with the names of the parents.

The baptism index for John Moy follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Moy John 1858 Parish: CLOGHAN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Donegal
Surname: Moy
First Name: John
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1858

Parish/District: CLOGHAN (RC)
____

I then wanted to see if I could uncover the names of the parents of John Moy. My first choice for his father, of course, was John, which the IFHF search engine accepted. I then first names for his mother to the IFHF search engine. This took a little time, as the search finally accepted one of the nicknames for Bridget, which is Biddy.

I then submitted the name Moy for Biddy’s maiden name, which to my surprise, the search engine accepted. The 1858 baptism index for John Moy shows that his parents were John Moy and Biddy Moy:

1 match for the search criteria: Moy John 1858 Parish: CLOGHAN (RC)

First Name: John
Father's Surname: Moy
Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname: Moy
Mother's First Name: Biddy

Year: 1858

____

I also found that John Moy and Biddy Moy had another son named Owen baptized in the Cloghan Catholic Church in 1861:

1 match for the search criteria: Moy Owen 1861 Parish: CLOGHAN (RC)

First Name: Owen
Father's Surname: Moy
Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname: Moy
Mother's First Name: Biddy

Year: 1861

____

The Cloghan Catholic Church was located in the Civil parish of Kilteevoge, County Donegal. The Catholic Church parish is spelled Kilteevogue. To view a Catholic parish map of County Donegal, go to the Irish Times website link at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/do...

On the map you’ll find the Catholic Parish of Kilteevogue just about in the center of the county. If you hold your cursor over the parish, you’ll see a drop-down box which shows the Cloghan and Glenfin Catholic Churches belonged to this parish.

The IFHF is adding records to its database all the time, which means you’ll want to re-visit the website from time to time to see you can find the circa 1857 baptism index for John Demoy/Moy, son of John Demoy/Moy and Margaret Flaherty.

Suzanne, in your reply to Annette Code you mentioned that you had found the birth of John Demoy and the marriage of his parents at the LDFS website. I looked for these records at the LDS website, but couldn’t find them. Could you send me the LDS links so that I can look at these records?

Concerning other records I looked for the Demoy surname in even older Irish land records than Griffiths Valuation. These records are called the Tithe Applotment Books. To learn what the Tithe Applotment Books were, go to the National Archives of Ireland website links at:

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/h...

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/a...

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/a...

The search page for the Tithe Applotment Books can be found at: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/i...

I looked for the surname Demoy in the Tithe Applotment Books, but without results. But, when I searched for the surname Moy, several entries appear. The greatest number of Moys found in the Tithe Applotment Books are again in County Donegal, with seven entries, followed by six entries for Queens County. Queens County today is called County Laois. There are also four Moys enumerated in County Clare, with one Moy in County Cavan, and one in County Cork. These entries cover the years from 1821 to 1843.

In the Tithe Applotment Book entries for County Donegal, you’ll see four entries for Moys in the townland of Glashabeg, Civil Parish of Kilteevock. Kilteevock would be the alternate spelling for Killteevoge.

The Tithe Applotment Book indexes for the Moys can be found at the following two National Archives links:

http://tinyurl.com/otxtyl8

http://tinyurl.com/ohag67x

In one of your posts you had mentioned that John Demoy died in Galway. I found his civil death index at Ancestry.com, showing his death was recorded in the Galway Registration District for the June quarter of 1893. He was 72 year old when he died, placing his year of birth circa 1821.

The index is below:

Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958

Name: John Demoy
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1893
Death Age: 72
Registration District: Galway
Death Country: Ireland
Volume: 4
Page: 171
FHL Film Number: 101597

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data:
“Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845–1958,” Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah. General Register Office. "Quarterly Returns of Births in Ireland with Index to Births." Belfast, Ireland.
____

You can order John Demoy’s death record from the General Register Office (GRO) in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon. For information about ordering records from the GRO, application forms, and costs, go to:
http://www.groireland.ie/

The death record should tell you the place and date of death, cause of death, and the name of the informant who reported the death to the local registrar.

Concerning specific records that mention John Demoy and Margaret Flaherty together, I found them in two indexes at the LDS website. One index is for the death of their daughter, Hanora Demoy Monahan. The index shows Hanora died in Waltham, Massachusetts, on 9 March 1897, at age 38. At the time of death Hanora was married. Her husband was Patrick Monahan. The index shows her parents were John Demoy and Margaret Flaherty.

Please see below:

Hanora Demoy Monahan, "Massachusetts, Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910"

Name: Hanora Demoy Monahan
Burial Date:
Burial Place:
Death Date: 09 Mar 1897
Death Place: Waltham, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Birth Date: 1859
Birthplace:
Race:
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Patrick Monahan
Father's Name: John Demoy
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name: Margaret Flaherty
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I01252-2
System Origin: Massachusetts-EASy
Reference ID: 747 P111 No. 48
Sources

GS Film number: 2110843 = Vital records, 1844-1905 [Waltham, Massachusetts]

Citing this Record
"Massachusetts, Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FHT5-PGJ : accessed 05 Jul 2013), Hanora Demoy Monahan, 09 Mar 1897.
____

Hanora’s death record can be found on LDS microfilm number 2110843. You can order the film from your nearest Family History Center. Some libraries will also order LDS films for you for a fee. Check with your local library to see if this service is available.

I also found the LDS marriage index for Patrick Leonard and Catherine Demoy, who were married in Waltham on 6 July 1898, exactly 115 years ago today. Patrick’s father is also Patrick, and his mother is Bridget Melvin. Catherine’s parents are listed as John Demoy and Margaret Flaherty:

Catherine Demoy, "Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915"

Name: Patrick Leonard
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 06 Jul 1898
Event Place: Waltham, Massachusetts

Marital Status:
Race:
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Registration Year:
Registration Place:
Birth Year (Estimated): 1863

Father's Name: Patrick Mother's Name: Bridget Melvin

Spouse's Name: Catherine Demoy
Spouse's Marital Status:

Spouse's Father's Name: John Spouse's Mother's Name: Margaret Flaherty
Certificate Number: 319
Digital Folder Number: 4022031
Image Number: 00392
Number of Images:
Sources

GS Film number: 1843708 = Massachusetts vital records, 1896-1897, 1899-1900.

Citing this Record
"Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N4Q7-PYW : accessed 05 Jul 2013), Patrick Leonard and Catherine Demoy, 1898.
____

The marriage record for Patrick Leonard and Catherine Demoy can be found on LDS microfilm number 1843708.

I also found the LDS marriage index for 29 year old Michael John Clark and 31 year old Catherine Demoy, who were married in Charleroi, Washington, Pennsylvania, on 30 April 1924. Michael’s parents are listed as Thomas Clark and Catherine Cavanaugh, while Catherine’s parents are John Demoy and Marie Riley:

Michael John Clark, "Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950"

Name: Michael John Clark
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 30 Apr 1924
Event Place: Charleroi, Washington, Pennsylvania, United States
Birth Year (Estimated): 1895

Father's Name: Thomas Clark
Mother's Name: Catherine Cavanaugh
Spouse's Name: Catherine Demoy
Spouse's Age: 31
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1893

Spouse's Father's Name: John Demoy
Spouse's Mother's Name: Marie Riley

Reference ID: cn 34636
Digital Folder Number: 004473736
Image Number: 02271
Sources

GS Film number: 1852742 = Marriage licenses, 1885-1951:
Washington County (Pennsylvania). Clerk of the Orphans' Court.

Citing this Record
"Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFQM-QFG : accessed 05 Jul 2013), Michael John Clark and Catherine Demoy, 1924.
____

The marriage record for Michael John Clark and Catherine Demoy can be found on LDS microfilm number 1852742.

CONCLUSION

Suzanne, before spending money ordering records from the respective General Register Offices in Southport, England, and Roscommon Town, County Roscommon, and before ordering LDS microfilms, I recommend that you access the same indexes that I did to see if you agree that the people in these records are the direct and collateral lines you are looking for. Some of the indexes I found may not refer to your ancestors and related lines, but some may. You would probably know better than I, as I haven’t been searching for the Demoy family in the past.

Good Luck with your research,

Dave Boylan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SuzanneF63 22 Jan 2013 2:33PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 2 Jul 2013 12:55AM GMT 
SuzanneF63 2 Jul 2013 1:31AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 2 Jul 2013 5:12AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 6 Jul 2013 11:26AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 6 Jul 2013 5:16PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 6 Jul 2013 7:38PM GMT 
SuzanneF63 7 Jul 2013 12:09AM GMT 
SuzanneF63 7 Jul 2013 1:14AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 7 Jul 2013 2:55AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions