Search for content in message boards

Thomas Wakefield b 1757 family estate road between Aughrim and Ballinasloe, Galway, Connaught, Ireland

Replies: 18

Re: Thomas Wakefield b 1757 family estate road between Aughrim and Ballinasloe, Galway, Connaught, Ireland

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 7:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wakefields
"Who was Dr. alberts father?"
According to the Wakefield Memorial page 216 "The emigrant from England to Ireland was John Wakefield, who had possibly among other children, Dr. Albert Wakefield, who had an only son Robert Wakefield." What info do you have that doesn't fit?
"I think they were in Ireland a long time probably in Ulster"
At the site Nebeker Family History, http://nebekerfamilyhistory.com/nebgen/Return_to_Home_Page.h... (and this is not the site with the sign in front with "Robert Wakefield, Physician to King, Born 1670, Aughrim, Galway, Ireland" that is the John Fleming Wakefield family site)If you go to library on the house or the home page at the Nebeker Family Site and click on it- it will take you to a library click on the book Wakefields-here you will find pictures of Dr. Albert Wakefield's home and a history for Albert treating the King and a picture of a chair the King sat in. In the history you will find that they believed Albert came from Ulster-and was granted the land for treating the King.
"I'm pretty sure I have the family of Matthew corret."
You descend from David's uncle Matthew Wakefield brother of David's father Robert? Again I am looking at page 216 Wakefield Memorial.
"It's the brothers I am curious about. I emailed the Orange Order a couple of years ago"
The Orange Order probably was not organized until the 1790's even if they existed prior to this time they probably have no records prior. The Whiteboys and the Peep O Boys were prior to them and in the time frame of the Wakefield Brothers.
The current Wakefields reside Urraghry-The home of Dr. Albert Wakefield in 1692-2 miles east of Aughrim and is part of Wakefield Village. Pictures of this at the site Nebeker Family History. And this is not the site with the sign in front of the house-but they did contribute the picture-there is a lot more at their own family history site. And this site with the current Wakefields in Ireland tells you they do not know the early history for the Wakefields. The history for the Wakefield family in Ireland-David Wakefield and probably his Uncle-Matthew-seems to be with the Methodist Church. But as I said before they were required to have dual parish memberships at this time and could not fully proctice Methodism until the early 1800's. The Catholic rule is completely wrong for the time period. Do you think this was either the authors own opinion about a "plot against Catholic rule"?
The Wakefield Memorial page 216 also says "According to information imparted by thomas Wakefield (son of the emigrant David) to his grandson, David H. Wakefield, of Redstone, Penna, and by him transmitted to the compiler, thomas Wakefield's grandfather (father of David) was named Robert, who was a son of Robert. The elder Robert, died in England in the prime of life from a wound rec'd in battle; was only a child."
This is where I have problems. I assumed it was Dr. Albert Wakefield, son of John-that does throw me. It seems Albert would be the son of the first Robert-and maybe it was Robert who was granted the land for his helping the King. I can find nothing to support either and the sign does say Robert, doesn't it?
Did you visit the sites in my prior emails and find anything? Did you get the John Wesley Visits Galway article-at least we know they are there at that time!
Cindy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
coetting57 4 Feb 2013 8:39PM GMT 
patsy11647 7 Mar 2013 11:00PM GMT 
coetting57 8 Mar 2013 1:37PM GMT 
patsy11647 8 Mar 2013 7:39PM GMT 
coetting57 9 Mar 2013 2:25PM GMT 
patsy11647 9 Mar 2013 4:03PM GMT 
coetting57 9 Mar 2013 4:53PM GMT 
patsy11647 9 Mar 2013 9:08PM GMT 
coetting57 9 Mar 2013 3:27PM GMT 
patsy11647 9 Mar 2013 4:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions