Search for content in message boards

David Wakefield b 1735-37 Galway county, Connaught Parish, Ireland

Replies: 15

Re: David Wakefield b 1735-37 Galway county, Connaught Parish, Ireland

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 6:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes I do not understand it-they were Methodist since sons of David and his son Thomas have sons who were ministers. I have a different branch-Convenators-who also came to America. I thought it was high rents at this time that sent a lot packing? The info for the brothers is from the Wakefield Memorial page 216-217-some problems but how to you approach a history such as the brothers Robert was beheaded, Gilbert imprisoned for life, David escaped to America, and Samuel rowed to Scotland! And it says "in a plot against Catholic rule" in Ireland. Do you think the wrong century? It states emigration from 1775-1783. However I cannot find Irish records or immigration records for this family. I can locate them in records where they emigrated to. The Juniata Valley, PA. The Wakefield Memorial-Homer WAkefield-1890's-no less- is the most quoted source for most families that descent from quite a few Wakefields. A moderator at rootschat for Irish forums said most of the info she could find does indeed go back to that book. I have no idea if it is true-some of the info definitely wrong-like Thomas Wakefield-the son of David-one of the brothers-it states he married Elizabeth Morton-niece of John Morton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was an only child! His father died while he was in his mothers womb. The family decided she was the dau of the signer-he did have a dau but she died unmarried! Still if you look at any Wakefield trees you will find the majority list Elizabeth Morton as the dau of the signer. I disproved with the offical organization for the signers and some historical societies-but no one cares-they tell me that the John Morton that is claimed to be the signer is speculation and so is it that his dau died unmarried. So I have been busy "unproving" things. I have had lots of fun already! Check it out and have a laugh. Yes I have been to the sites. There is also Wakefields in Ballinasloe and I really found a Wakefield for Wakefield Village. Cindy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
coetting57 24 Feb 2013 11:10PM GMT 
john_eagleton 25 Feb 2013 8:11PM GMT 
coetting57 26 Feb 2013 1:41AM GMT 
john_eagleton 26 Feb 2013 6:53PM GMT 
coetting57 27 Feb 2013 1:48PM GMT 
coetting57 28 Feb 2013 3:00PM GMT 
john_eagleton 28 Feb 2013 6:35PM GMT 
coetting57 1 Mar 2013 2:09PM GMT 
coetting57 2 Mar 2013 10:17PM GMT 
john_eagleton 3 Mar 2013 2:32AM GMT 
per page