Search for content in message boards

David Wakefield b 1735-37 Galway county, Connaught Parish, Ireland

Replies: 15

Re: David Wakefield b 1735-37 Galway county, Connaught Parish, Ireland

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 10:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wakefield Wade
Yes I ran across this Orange Order. In the early years-1780's-sectarian tension had been building until a boiling point in county Armagh-although not Galway-it could of spread to include Galway. This is from wikipedia and this comment "much offence had lately been taken because of the Catholics in the general increase in wealth had raised the price of land by bidding high when it became vacant." These brawls were sectarian-religious divisions. And the Wakefields were very devote Methodist converted by John Wesley. Although not founded until 1796-the early years of the Orangemen were in the 1780's and sectarian tension was building between Catholic and Protestants. I had suspected a group like the Whiteboys or the Orangemen. The timeline for leaving Ireland for David Wakefield really is 1775-1783-and other Wakefields. I can find Wakefields in Griffith's Valuation in 1841 for the area and the family history Nebeker located the same places I had been looking for-including the WAkefield Village no one believed existed until I located it in Ireland search. I can locate records in the US but not in Ireland except for the articles on Methodism and there were Quakers by the name of Wakefield in a book called Six Generations of Quakers-and this is in Ireland in the area where the WAkefields lived- by Jane Richardson Wakefield. I was concerned David Wakefield was banished from the family-converted from Quakerism to Methodism. But I think Quakers were not know for violence! And when they came to America Wakefield men were in the Rev War-I belong to the DAR. I believe the record for David's son Thomas says he signed a petition in Fannett Twp, I will not go into the counties at that time-they all changed!-but record is now in Franklin county, PA.-in 1779 for the Cont Army-I have the cenetery record also. David and Mary Jane Wade Wakefield had more children in the US-so the date of birth for DAvid is prob 1734-1737. You can do a findagrave search and find their graves in the Gamble cemetery in Pennsylvania-both David and Thomas. The only problem I have for the late 1600's is for the Roberts and a confusion between Dr. Albert Wakefield attending to the King William or Robert Wakefield-a picture of the home of Robert Wakefield on another family website John Fleming Wakefield-shows the house and the sign in front says Robert WAkefield's home, Physician to King William. I want to thank you for helping wade through this curious but interesting family history. I believe the Whiteboys or the Orangemen is a pretty good bet. How to find records in Ireland-I have been struggling as you can see. Records that old are pretty scarce. I have some records and I am trying to find more. But I cannot find any birth, marriage, or immigration records. I now find myself reading Irish history and I really never thought I would be reading about so much violence and religious fights. Another thing is the Orangemen were compared to the Klu Klux Klan! And this could be true even if it is hard for my generation to think any member of the family would be involved in such a group.
Thanks again,
Cindy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
coetting57 3 Mar 2013 5:11PM GMT 
coetting57 28 Mar 2013 1:57PM GMT 
patsy11647 7 Apr 2013 12:16AM GMT 
coetting57 8 Apr 2013 1:41PM GMT 
patsy11647 8 Apr 2013 6:24PM GMT 
coetting57 9 Apr 2013 2:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions