Search for content in message boards

Index Irish Wills 1484-1858- how do I get the document?

Replies: 5

Re: Index Irish Wills 1484-1858- how do I get the document?

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 12:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
The oaths are kept with the will and other papers in the probate file in PRONI. In your case the PRONI website says they hold no papers. That implies the original was destroyed in 1922, together with the oaths and other accompanying papers. Since you have a copy of the will, I would assume it must have came from some other source (eg the deceased’s solicitors).

The executors were usually close friends of the deceased. They would find the beneficiaries addresses from speaking to next of kin or by going through the deceased’s papers. But I have never seen beneficiaries addresses recorded within a probate file other than when it was in the will itself. (Solicitors often discourage you from putting a private beneficiary’s address in a will, as people move around and if the address has changed by the time the person inherits, it can cause complications. They suggest if there is any need for an address, you put it in a separate letter which accompanies the will but is not part of it. I have never seen that type of information in a probate file at PRONI).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
allystree 28 May 2012 2:26AM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 28 May 2012 6:53AM GMT 
DoryBradyLore... 28 Nov 2012 2:56AM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 28 Nov 2012 1:50PM GMT 
DoryBradyLore... 28 Nov 2012 6:44PM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 28 Nov 2012 7:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions