Search for content in message boards

Can't read location - possibly County Leitrim

Replies: 6

Can't read location - possibly County Leitrim

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 2:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Flynn, Devitt
My great grandfather, John Flynn, was born in Ireland. He moved to Scotland (on his own) sometime between the 1880 census & when he married his first wife Mary Eliza Cowan on June 10, 1889 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland. She passed away on Jan 24, 1897 in Falkirk. John Flynn then went on to marry my great grandmother, Mary Reynolds, on Feb 5, 1899 in Kilsyth, Stirlingshire, Scotland.

I do not have a date of birth for my ggf. The Scottish censuses have his estimated year of birth as abt 1866 with only a place of birth as Ireland. I do know that according to both marriages, his parents are John Flynn and Bridget Docherty (also both of Ireland).

We had previously not known what had happened to him. My grandmother, Ann Flynn, never knew him. He was gone the year after she was born. Her mother had always just told her that he was dead.

I have found that in 1909, he traveled to New York aboard the S.S. California. According to the ship's manifest he was going to stay with his sister, Mrs. Ann Flynn Devitt. However, it was his brother Owen Flynn who picked him up from the docks. I am unable to read on the ship's manifest where in Ireland he is from. I have attached a screen capture from the ship's manifest where it shows location of birth.

According to the 1910 census, John Flynn was living on his own in Manhattan. Both that census and the ship's manifest put his year of birth at approximately 1870. I am thinking that he made himself younger in order to come into the country.

Both Ann Flynn Devitt (married to Patrick Devitt) and Owen Flynn came over prior to Ellis Island. The information that I found on Castle Garden immigration site is very limited so I can not get information on where they came from.

On the 1910 census, it shows a Patrick Flynn living with Ann Flynn Devitt and Patrick Devitt. It shows him coming over in 1910 from Ireland. There is only 2 Patrick Flynn's that came over in 1910 early enough to show on the 1910 census. One is way too old & the other is listed as having been born in County Leitrim, Ireland. It lists his last place of residence as Drumkareen, Ireland. It also showed that he was to go live with his sister, Bridget Flynn. I was unable to locate a Bridget Flynn. Since he was found with his sister Ann, I am thinking that either Bridget died prior to him coming over or that she married and has a different last name.

I do have one other small piece of information on John Flynn. In 1918, my ggm (Mary Reynolds Flynn) filed for divorce from him in Scotland on the grounds of desertion. She stated that in 1912 she had received letters from both Ann Flynn Devitt and Owen Flynn stating that John Flynn was gravely ill. I have not been able to locate his death records in New York. I know that they had all been living in Manhattan, New York, US from time of immigration until the time of death.

Ann Flynn Devitt (born abt 1870 in Ireland, emigrated to New York in 1883, married Patrick Devitt in 1886, died April 13, 1914 in New York)

Owen Flynn (born Nov 1859 in Ireland, emigrated to New York in 1883, married Mary ?? Flynn in 1886, died sometime between 1930 & 1940 census in New York)

John Flynn (born abt 1866 in Ireland, emigrated to Scotland between 1880 & 1889, married Mary Eliza Cowan Flynn in 1889, married Mary Reynolds Flynn in 1899, emigrated to New York in 1909, died sometime between 1912 & 1920 census)

Patrick Flynn born abt 1883 in Drumkereen, Ireland, married in Ireland (wife unknown), emigrated to New York in 1910, death after 1910 census)

I had located one death certificate for a John Flynn in late 1912. However, there is no information filled out on it. It only lists name and date of death.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can see we have a ton of info, but we just can't break that barrier in Ireland. I am hoping to locate the town he was from.

One other thing that we know is that John Flynn is listed as illiterate on all the censuses both in Scotland & US. So the spelling of the town is more then likely wrong. It was written by some Scottish dock worker trying to listen to a man with an Irish accent and understand what town he is saying.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Norma Wills 31 Dec 2012 9:22PM GMT 
eglanglois 1 Jan 2013 6:21AM GMT 
Norma Wills 1 Jan 2013 2:59PM GMT 
eglanglois 2 Jan 2013 1:53AM GMT 
marionholden7... 2 Jan 2013 12:28AM GMT 
wkirnan88 2 Jan 2013 5:24AM GMT 
Norma Wills 18 Jan 2013 5:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions