Search for content in message boards

Sharkey - Mary Ann(e) from Ireland moved to Lancashire born circa 1862

Replies: 4

Sharkey - Mary Ann(e) from Ireland moved to Lancashire born circa 1862

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 9:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sharkey, Hall
I have hit a brick wall and not sure where to start. My great grandmother was Mary Ann(e) Sharkey from somewhere in Ireland. She was Roman Catholic, married Thomas Hall in 1883 in Droylsden, Lancashire and she lived there all her life after then. All English census records indicate she was born around 1862 in Ireland. The 1911 census record state Sligo, Ireland. However, my mother always thought she came from Cork. She came to England in her late teens I believe, with her sister. I see from her marriage certificate her father was James - he was either a farmer or farrier (poor handwriting) and one of her witnesses was Bridget Sharkey (a sister perhaps?) Her headstone states she died in 1949 (2 April) aged 93. However, this would have her 6 years older than she claimed on all the census records and on her marriage certificate. If the headstone is correct, she would have been born circa 1856.

Can anybody help me with where to go next? I would love to find out where she came from and start researching her family history in Ireland.

Many thanks.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Royalslady 15 Feb 2013 4:30PM GMT 
marionholden7... 15 Feb 2013 6:12PM GMT 
Royalslady 15 Feb 2013 8:27PM GMT 
M_Donlevy 16 Feb 2013 12:21PM GMT 
Royalslady 17 Feb 2013 9:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions