Search for content in message boards

Malark from Ireland

Replies: 1

Re: Malark from Ireland

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 3:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Its going to be difficult with such a rare name. In Irish records the surname is down to 2 people listed in the 1911 census, see www.census.nationalarchives.ie Both are in Co Roscommon. The youngest is 28 yr old Michael Malark- Roosky Town- Roosky Co. Roscommon who is servant in the house of O’Reillys. The other is 82 yearold Bridget Malark who is an aunt to a brother and sister Fallon Aunt. Their religion is noted as RC which could be useful when seeking church records of the earlier family. There are no entries in the 1901 census which suggests to me the name may be spelt differently in the records. The spelling doesn’t turn up in Griffiths valuation records about 1830s-1860s. See http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index. So what other spelling could it be? M’ Lark etc I looked back more carefully at the census . In the 1901 cenus its spelt Melark and the only entry is for Bridget now aged 70 at same address. Much earlier I can trace an Edward Melark aged 26 arriving 6 Apr 1847 see www.castlegarden.org . He is the only Malark or Melark migrating. Checking further emigration websites see www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerList
These are the just 2 index entries, you can get more info by buying credits etc
MALARK Jas 1880 M 1895 Liverpool USA New York
MALARK Maggie 1881 F 1891 Queenstown USA New York
That site has no other Melarks . In the English census there are 4 Malarks in the 1871 census, living in Halifax, Southowram, only the oldest Ellen was born in Ireland 1831 there are no Melarks. On family surname message boards there are none on Genforum genealogy. On http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.malark/mb.ashx there are 2 entries for Malark, someone dying in 2001 NY. The correspondent is LauraRivers. The irish times doesn’t have the surname listed. Sorry I cant help further , back to you and other helpers
Good luck, JimG
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Lngebaisden 13 Apr 2013 8:53PM GMT 
jimsanssouci 14 Apr 2013 9:09AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic