Search for content in message boards

potential source of Irish records

Replies: 0

potential source of Irish records

Posted: 19 Oct 2013 1:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Years ago I printed from Google the records of the first British Tontine in 1693. It had over 1,000 names, addresses, occupations, ages, and relative's names. A Tontine was a sort of lottery. You paid in a swt sum of money and as people died off their share went towards the jackpot. By 1749 there were still 269 survivors. There were later British tontines and others in other European countries as well.

I just saw that the British Archives in Kew Gardens, London has 53 volumes of records for the Irish tontines of 1773, 1775 and 1781. These contain names, death certificates, marriages, payments, letters, etc. The last nominee died in 1870. Thus the records cover 1773-1781.
These are in the records of the National Debt Office.

I think these records would be worth scanning by Ancestry.com or transcribed by the Church of Latter Day Saints. Anyone doing Irish research can tell you of the lack of vital records.

Here is a typical example from the Btritish 1693 Tontine: "Alexander Briggs, of St Peter's Poor, London, grocer, age 34, house of abode Broadstreet. Many people would subscribe in the name of a small child as the nominee hoping they would be among the last survivors.

Find a board about a specific topic