Search for content in message boards

Coffey Peter & Mary

Replies: 4

Coffey Peter & Mary

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 7:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coffey
I am in Australia and I am trying to trace my gg grandparents Peter William Coffey and Mary Coffey (Coffey was also her maiden name). Peter was born c1852 and Mary c1854.

They migrated to Australia in Oct 14 1875 on board the vessel "Trevelyan" to Port Adelaide South Australia with their infant daughter Mary, who was born 6 Sep 1874 in Killarney, Milltown, Kerry, Ireland. Infant Mary died shortly after arriving in Australia but the couple went on to have 13 more children. They settled in Maitland, South Australia and were active in the town. They were also recognised by Pope Leo XIII for their services to the Catholic Church in Australia.

Aside from the above details, very little is known about the Irish origins of Peter & Mary. Family legend has it that Mary was the daughter of a wealthy family and Peter was a groom for her father. Due to her parents displeasure with the marriage they migrated to Australia. Whether this is true is unknown. I know it is a long shot as the names are probably very common but any information perhaps from someone who has "lost" this couple from their family records would be invaluable.

It is unknown where in Ireland Peter or Mary were born but I'm posting on this board due to their daughter being born in Kerry so I would assume they were living there (and perhaps married there?) in 1874.

Any information or tips on where else to search would be gratefully received. This has been a dead end in our family history after many years of searching.

Regards
Cally
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cally30 26 Jan 2010 2:11PM GMT 
McRaf 27 Jan 2010 1:20PM GMT 
cally30 27 Jan 2010 3:09PM GMT 
McRaf 27 Jan 2010 3:49PM GMT 
steracmat1 13 Feb 2013 6:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic