Search for content in message boards

Kilcooley Fitzgeralds

Replies: 4

Re: Kilcooley Fitzgeralds

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 7:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Not part of your family but I'm a big advocate of using the telephone directory to locate people who still live in the same areas from the 1800's.
This is the Kerry Co. board so was surprised to find that there is no Kilcooley in Kerry.

Kilcooley is a townland in the parish of Kilcroan in Galway, Poor Law Union of Glenmaddy or Parish in Roscommon in the Poor Law Union of Strokestown.

A Union town would be the largest town in an area covering about 10-12 mile radius. It would contain smaller towns and villages, parish's and townlands.

You could give it ago first looking for the name Kilcooley and then with a map look for FG's within the PLU. Send letters to a particular area FG's.

There are Fitzgerald's in all three counties, Kerry, Roscommon and Galway.

Without knowing which of the three counties these FG's are from I can't help with the phone book you will need to try yourself. I can't put the website as rootsweb consider the phone book a commercial entity.

I didn't find any FG's in the 1911 census with any part of the census using Kilcooley, I would of thought Bridget might be there if she was elderly and alive in 1957. Should this be 1857?

The easiest way to connect families to each other is the parish registers or through family members.

Kerry does not belong to an Irish History Foundation that operates a datebase on behalf of most of Ireland's county genealogy offices. Kerry records can be found on
www.irishgenealogy.ie (there are early records but don't know how late they might run, usually 1899)

Galway and Roscommon both belong to this History Foundation.
It is a not for profit, but fees are charged.

Annette Code
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sstansut 10 Sep 2012 10:54AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 14 Sep 2012 1:24PM GMT 
sstansut 14 Sep 2012 1:56PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 14 Sep 2012 2:50PM GMT 
Ansmi122 16 Jan 2013 2:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic