Search for content in message boards

Dingle Postmistress

Replies: 3

Re: Dingle Postmistress

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 3:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Try looking for directories for Dingle, I have 1824-1894 but
nothing later. Try Eneclann, the genealogy division of Trinity College as they have books and CD's of directories but I'm not sure what years they would cover.

1931 Handbook of local and family History, Co. Kerry by Jeremiah King, Co. Kerry Past & Present (?)

Guy's Postal Directory 1893 (too early but you might try googling these directories for later ones)

The problem with books and CD is you can't be sure what's in them before you get them, can be very disappointing.

To see an example - 1824 Pigots Directory is on the website
www.failteromhat.com

I do know that prior to 1922 that the post offices were run
from the UK and they do have a Post Office Employee website, I don't remember the website or name as I only looked at once about 5 years ago. There is an online form to fill out. I imagine the Irish Postal Service must have
something similar? They do have a website:

www.anpost.ie/history

Is it just a post office or is it a shop with a post office. I found a 1931 Directory for Kerry, but so far anything that refers to post are posting establishments - hotels with places for horses. Directories are like yellow pages and even if in a shop the post office should be mentioned.

11 1/2 pages later, no post office. You might want to try this yourself. www.from-ireland.net go to counties, click on Munster, click on Kerry, scroll town to 1931 Trade Directory.

What about the county library? Under 'local studies' they may have the directories.

Annette Code
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
joan_griffin 22 Nov 2012 3:22PM GMT 
franmalone39 23 Nov 2012 3:02PM GMT 
joan_griffin 23 Nov 2012 3:11PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 11 Dec 2012 10:06PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic