Search for content in message boards

Replies: 15

Re: Ashe family

Posted: 30 Sep 2001 10:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 May 2002 5:39PM GMT
Suzanne

The Ashe name is not a common one and should be relatively easy to research. But much of the research on the Ashe family tree took place prior to the computer age and with much difficulty to the researchers who would not have had access to the overwhelming amount of data that is now available. So before one picks holes in what has been done, one must first thank those who have researched the family tree and thus given those of us who are currently researching the name, a very valuable starting point.

Jeremiah King in his book County Kerry: Past and Present (Mercier Press, Cork - 1931) tells us that there were 49 Ashe families in Kerry in 1901 (Census data of 1901)

The Census of Ferriter - January 1835 tells us that there were 9 Ashe families between the Parishes of Dunurlin, Maurhin, Kilmilkedar and Kilquane - All these parishes are west of Dingle.
I have not finished looking through the land records (Griffiths Valuation) to put a number on the Ashe families in the other parishes of Corkaguinny, but this is necessary if one wishes to do comprehensive research on any of the Ashe families.

I have seen the Thomas Ashe Family Tree and the Revised Thomas Ashe Family Tree and The Ashe Family Tree that has been posted on the Internet and these have been compiled on the basis of certain assumptions - but Frank Ashe who assembled the data also queried those assumptions and did not state them as verified beyond all doubt.
In my view it is time to air these assumptions so that researchers can take a new look at the facts, ask more questions and see how much, if any, of the "unclaimed Ashe data" can be assimulated into one or other of the various Ashe families.

But to return to John and Catherine's family. I note that you say that John died in Buffalo. He died in 1892. Their daughter Catherine returned to Ireland with her son after her husband died - did they return alone, could her parents have returned home with her? Why would she come home if her parents were in Buffalo? Catherine and her son spent a number of years living in Minard - the number of years on record varies, but if Gregory was born in 1887 and his grandfather died in 1892 it must have been less than 5 years.

The land records in Minard show that John Ashe leased a house from Patrick Curran 1888-1890 - is this John and Catherine Ashe and Patrick Curran is their son in law?. Can anyone elaborate on this?

I do not have a year of marriage for Elizabeth and Francis Evans, so I cannot say which date of birth is correct, but it is possible that an Elizabeth was born in Kerry and she died. Another daughter Elizabeth could have been born in Canada but without her date of marriage and/or age when she died, I have no way of knowing.

Re sons John and James Ashe, were they born in the U.S. - did Frank Ashe tell us where they were born?

John Ashe had relatives in Westfield, MA has anyone any information on who they might have been or have I been misled by false information?

Were these Ashe's from Murrioch or were they part of the Ashe Family in Kinard that moved to Minard? I am just opening up the debate.
Frank Ashe who has provided much of the information also raised this point. I have an open mind to both possibilities.

Eibhlin
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rose prendiville 11 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Theresa24 11 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Suzanne Walke... 25 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
PrendivilleJa... 29 Sep 2001 9:50PM GMT 
Eibhlin_C 30 Sep 2001 1:33AM GMT 
Suzanne Walke... 1 Oct 2001 1:16AM GMT 
Eibhlin_C 1 Oct 2001 4:23AM GMT 
lougher2 29 Jan 2003 5:16PM GMT 
suzannabee1 29 Jan 2003 6:46PM GMT 
Nanu_Nanu 19 Jan 2004 4:35AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions