Sughrue to Mauritius

Replies: 9

Re: Sughrue to Mauritius

karen geffroy (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2006 3:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Sughrue/Skydeberg
Dear Marie Christine

Easter Greetings and thank you so much for your reply. I am quite thrilled to see there is a definite O'Sughrue/Mauritius connection. Since I posted my first message, I have new information. I contacted the St John's Maritime Museum in Newfoundland Canada, for information on a W Skydeberg, who I believe to be Wilhelm, my husband's great grandfather. In the index of Mariners where I found his surname listed, another surname caught my eye, O'Suzhrue. I thought this must be a mispelling of O'Sughrue and requested the info on this person too. When it arrived recently it was for a Desiré O'Suzhrue born in Mauritius in 1850/1. I am sure there must be some connection here. A coincidence that Desiré O'Sughrue and W Skydeberg were both mariners in Canadian/US ports and Skydeberg eventually settled in Mauritus? Did they meet, or know each other? Desiré is a French christian name, definitely not Irish, but I do know that O'Sughrue is of Irish origin. I should love to know the name of the Mauritian wife of the O'Sughrue that went to Mauritius and then proceeded to South Africa. I shall see if I can trace any info on the family here in SA. Chaperon is an old Mauritian surname. Do you still live in Mauritius? If you have any other info, especially names, I would love to receive it and try to discover the Skydeberg/O'Sughrue connection. I have a CD of cemeteries in Mauritius and there are 8/9 O'Sugrue's listed with dates. Earliest date of death is 1831. If you would like more info please contact me on geffroy@telkomsa.net
Kind regards Karen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
maureen o'sughrue 25 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Karen Geffroy 29 May 2005 1:07AM GMT 
Marie Christine Liu 14 Apr 2006 8:25AM GMT 
karen geffroy 14 Apr 2006 9:52AM GMT 
ritchiezyx 12 Dec 2012 1:08AM GMT 
geffroy 12 Dec 2012 8:53AM GMT 
ritchiezyx 12 Dec 2012 5:39PM GMT 
geffroy 12 Dec 2012 6:35PM GMT 
Marie Christine Liu 14 Apr 2006 6:46AM GMT 
christian arm... 21 Jul 2014 5:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions