Search for content in message boards

John McCrohan (Mack) & brother Den(n)is & wife Mary.

Replies: 2

John McCrohan (Mack) & brother Den(n)is & wife Mary.

Posted: 15 Feb 2003 11:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCrohan/Mack
I have been searching and still cannot find any new information on my gggrandfather John McCrohan. Here is what I have so far:
John Mack (buried as McCrohen, in the ground he donated to the Catholic Church) born about 1820 in Co. Kerry, Ireland. (possibly Killarney?) Came to the USA in the early 1850's. I have been told that he made the trip with his brother Denis McCrohan (b. 1825-1827) Co. Kerry, Ireland, and his wife Mary(ULN, b 1825) also Co. Kerry, Ireland. John was a first mate on a clipper ship and he somehow got his pregnant wife (we are not sure they were married, yet) on the ship without paying. The plan was to smuggle her off and jump ship when they got to the USA. However, she delivered her baby while enroute. Supposedly that was my ggrandfather Jeremiah B. (Broderick we think) Mack (marriage cert. says McCrahan). In the Census documents from 1870, Dearborn County, Sparta Township, Indiana, it shows that John Mack and his wife Mary (Unknown) Mack were both from County Kerry Ireland. He was a farmer and a "Dealer in Stock".
At that time John was listed as 50 years old. Mary was 45, and Dennis I couldn't find, but did find him listed in the 1880 Census, living with John & Mary and he was 55.
In 1870 John & Mary had 7 children listed as follows:
Jerry (Grandpa Jeremiah to me) 17, at school ( I know he went to college) born in New York.
Mike, 16 also born in New York. (may have died at 18?)
Thomas J., 12, born in Ohio.
Dennis (Babe), 10, born in Ohio.
Mary (E), 9, born in Indiana. (never married)
(Eugene) Patrick (always called Pat), 4, born in Indiana.
Julia (A), 9 months, born in Indiana. (later married Bossong)

Tombstone says John & Mary died in 1910, Dennis 1911. All in Ripley County, Indiana (USA).
Any information would be appreciated:-)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
csuerea 16 Feb 2003 6:10AM GMT 
D.Q.Q. 25 Oct 2003 3:33AM GMT 
DonnaGeePugh 25 Oct 2012 11:41AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions