O'Connell

Replies: 38

Boolakeel Morans

Paul Keroack (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moran, Connell
Dear Mary Ann:
In response to this and earlier postings by you and Kevin Moran, I have a cousin via an [O] Connell line who is interested in the same Mary Connell/Daniel Moran of Boolakeel as yourself. She says Mary was from the village of Cill Rialiag, which I haven't found on any list, but which apparently does not exist today). I don't think she has any more names than you but in my attempt to help her (she does visit Ireland annually and has relatives in Waterville) I copied the Griffiths list of lessees (18 of them) for the townland of Boolakeel, parish of Prior, Barony of Iveragh (ca.1851). What struck me is that Daniel Moran holds the largest plot (38+ acres out of a total of 191+). Several others have between 15 and 20 and the rest less. I did not copy the value of the land- maybe the largest plots are barren hillsides! He was also the only Moran, other surnames included Sullivan(s), Sugrue(s), Conner(s), Connell, White and Fitzgerald. I scanned the other townlands of Prior and the only other Morans were in Kinard East (John), and Sussa (Patrick, Michael, Denis, John, all sharing plot #6, Thomas and Jeremiah). I would guess then that the Morans may be connected to other places. My impression is that the parishes surrounding Ballinskelligs Bay had much communication with each other. My cousin is descended from another Moran (Mary Moran who married Geoffrey Connell (see posting of 2 Dec 1999 on this list for that couple) - this Mary, daughter of Daniel, is said to be from Derriana townland, Dromod parish; she marries Geoffrey of Tooreens townland, Kilcrohane parish. Whether this suggests some relation way back, I'm not sure. There aren't too many Morans in Kerry, according to J. King's strange little 1931 book. I'm thinking of checking the Tithe applotment list for Boolakeel (1827) to see who was listed then. References say that R.C. records for Prior parish date back only to 1832. My cousin does not have e-mail but I can relay comments/questions you might have for her. She's hoping to find more herself.
Sincerely, Paul Keroack
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bob Ford 16 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
RMG4 5 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
maryann8 6 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
KEVIN MORAN 13 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
maryann8 28 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Paul Keroack 30 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
maryann8 31 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
KEVIN MORAN 15 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
maryann8 15 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Erin O'Connell (nee Moran) 17 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions