Search for content in message boards

HUGHES/POPE/BEASLEY of Kildare, Ireland 1700-1800's

Replies: 3

Re: HUGHES/POPE/BEASLEY of Kildare, Ireland 1700-1800's

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 11:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello barblh,

I located the marriage transcription and a copy of the original marriage record for Edward Harmon Pope and Letitia Hughes at the Irish Genealogy website at: http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html

The index for the marriage however, lists Edward’s middle name as Norman, rather than Harmon. This is because the original marriage record can be difficult to read in places. The marriage took place in the St. George Church of Ireland, Dublin City, on 9 October 1823. The index gives Edward’s address as “Bal Gadons,” in Queens County. Today Queens County is County Laois. Bal Gadons is a transcription error. A careful reading of the copy of the original marriage record, shows his place of residence was Ballyadams, Queens County, not Bal Gadons.

The initials N/R you see in the transcription below stand for “Not Recorded:”

Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. GEORGE

Marriage of EDWARD NORMAN POPE of BAL GADONS IN THE QUEENS COUNTY and LETITIA HUGHES of N/R on 9 October 1823

Husband Name EDWARD NORMAN POPE
Address BAL GADONS IN THE QUEENS COUNTY
Occupation N/R N/R
Father N/R N/R
Mother N/R N/R

Wife Name LETITIA HUGHES

Further details in the record

Wife Address - Parish ST GEORGE

Witness 1 JNO HUGHES (WITNESS FOR HUSBAND)
Witness 3 J POPE (WITNESS FOR WIFE)

About the record

Book Number Page Entry Number Record_Identifier
N/R 41 178 DU-CI-MA-19734 d-298-3-1-044
____

You can view a copy of the original marriage record for Edward and Letitia at the Irish Genealogy link at:
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-298-3-1-044.p...

To help with deciphering the document, I’ve made my own transcription of the marriage. I’ve retained the original spelling of the marriage record in the transcription. You’ll see for instance that some words use the small letter f in place of the letter s. You’ll see one example of this in the word Thousand. The marriage record spells this word, “Thoufand.” What I could not decipher in the marriage record was the surname of the priest who married Edward and Letitia. His first name however, was William. The witnesses to the marriage were John Hughes and J. Pope, who were probably the relatives of the groom and bride.

The marriage record also shows that at the time of the marriage Letitia was living in St. George, which was the parish where she married.

The transcription follows:

MARRIAGES

( The year 1823. )

No. 173 } Edward Harmon Pope Esq of the Parish of Ballyadams
In the Queens County and Letitia Hughes of St. George were
Married in this Church by consistorial License
This 9th Day of October in the Year One Thoufand Eight Hundred
And twenty three by me William ?

This Marriage was folemnized between Us { EH Pope, Letitia Hughes

In the Prefence of Jno Hughes, J Pope
____

You’ll notice that Edward and Letitia were married by “consistorial License.” For an explanation about this term see the following which comes from a findmypast blog at: http://blog.findmypast.ie/2012/01/marriage-license-bonds/

“In Ireland by the 18th Century Protestants of any substance were usually married by a marriage license bond issued by the consistorial court of the diocese. This is true of all religious denominations with the possible exception of Quakers, for rural and urban dwellers right up to the second half of the 19th Century. It is true however that in the 17th and 18th centuries when the Penal Laws were in place, many Quakers, particularly those with property, also married by license within the Established Church, to secure succession / inheritance rights for any children of the marriage.

The marriage licence bond was issued ahead of the marriage by the Established Church as an alternative to the public proclamation of banns in church. A marriage license was a popular alternative to banns, as it guaranteed the bride and groom a greater measure of privacy. Unfortunately, almost all original marriage licenses for the Irish dioceses were destroyed in 1922, however, index books for most of the Irish dioceses survive and can be consulted in the National Archives.”
____

Also see the explanation for the Consistory court at the Wikipedia link at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consistory_court

To read information about St. George’s Church of Ireland, and to view a photo of the outside of the church, go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._George's_Church,_Dublin

Next I found the baptism transcription, and copy of the original baptism record for Letitia Lucinda Pope, daughter of Edward Harmon Pope and Letitia. Letitia Lucinda was baptized in the Carlow Town, Church of Ireland, County Carlow, on 26 March 1843. The record also shows that Letitia Lucinda was born on 29 November 1842. I was surprised to find this record, as Letitia Lucinda was born almost 20 years after her parents were married.

The transcription and link to the original baptism record for Letitia Lucinda Pope are from the Irish Genealogy website:

Area - CARLOW (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - CARLOW

Baptism of LETITIA LUCINDA POPE of CARLOW on 26 March 1843

Name LETITIA LUCINDA POPE
Date of Birth 29 November 1842
Address CARLOW
Father EDD HARMAN POPE
Mother LETITIA POPE

Father Occupation GENTLEMAN

About the record

Book Number Page Entry Number Record_Identifier Image Filename
N/R 28 N/R CW-CI-BA-4686 c-317-1-3-028
____

A copy of the original baptism record for Letitia Lucinda can be found at:
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/c-317-1-3-028.p...

The baptism record shows that the Church of Ireland parish priest who baptized Letitia was G: G: Cuthbut.

The name for the Church of Ireland in Carlow Town, County Carlow, is Saint Mary’s. For information and photo of the church, go to the Discover Ireland website link at the following:
http://www.discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/saint-ma...

Next I found the marriage transcription for Joseph Beasley and Harriet Anne Pope at the Irish Genealogy website. The transcription shows the couple were married in the Carlow Church of Ireland on 4 December 1844. The witnesses were John Blanden and J Atkinson:

Area - CARLOW (COI), Parish/Church/Congregation - CARLOW

Marriage of JOSEPH BEASLEY of N/R and HARRIET ANNE POPE of CARLOW on 4 December 1844

Husband's Name: JOSEPH BEASLEY
Address: N/R
Father: N/R
Mother: N/R
Wife's Name: HARRIET ANNE POPE
Address: Carlow

Father: N/R

Mother: N/R

JOHN BLANDEN (WITNESS FOR HUSBAND)

J ATKINSON - (WITNESS FOR WIFE)

About the record

Book Number Page Entry Number Record_Identifier Image Filename
N/R 108 N/R CW-CI-MA-1174 c-317-1-3-108
____

A copy of the original marriage record for Joseph Beasley and Harriet Anne Pope can be viewed at the Irish Genealogy link at: http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/c-317-1-3-108.p...

The original marriage record, which is difficult to read, shows the couple were married by License, by the consent of their parents, which means they would have been under 21 years of age. The name of the parish priest who married Joseph and Harriet appears to be Henry Herbert, Incumbent of ?

I didn’t locate baptism or birth records for children of Joseph Beasley and Harriet Pope at the Irish Genealogy website.
Nor did I find any birth or baptism records for their children during the 1840s and 1850s. But, I did find two baptism indexes recorded in the 1860s for children of Joseph and Harriet at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

These children were baptized in the Athy, Kildare, Roman Catholic Church. The baptism of Francis Beasley took place in 1863 while the baptism of Edward Beasley took place in 1864. For these children to have been baptized Catholic, their parents Joseph and Harriet would have left the Church of Ireland, and converted to Catholicism.

As an aside, I didn’t find baptism indexes for any daughters of Joseph Beasley and Harriet Pope.

The baptism indexes for Francis and Edward Beasley are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Beasley (plus variants) Francis 1863 Parish: ATHY (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Kildare
Surname: Beasley
First Name: Francis
Father's Surname: Beasley
Father's First Name: Joseph
Mother's Surname: Pope
Mother's First Name: Harriet

Year: 1863

Parish/District: ATHY (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Beasley (plus variants) Edward 1864 Parish: ATHY (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Kildare
Surname: Beasley
First Name: Edward
Father's Surname: Beasley
Father's First Name: Joseph
Mother's Surname: Pope
Mother's First Name: Harriet

Year: 1864

Parish/District: ATHY (RC)
____

You can order transcriptions of the baptisms for Francis and Edward from the IFHF. You’ll have to purchase credits to order the transcriptions. Payment is by credit card. Once payment is made, the transcriptions will be sent to your computer in a few seconds. The baptism transcriptions may tell you who the sponsors or god parents of the children were, and perhaps give you more information about the Beasley family than what you see in the indexes above.

Best Wishes,

Dave Boylan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
barblh 5 Mar 2012 3:55AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 29 Mar 2012 2:32PM GMT 
williamhyland... 24 Aug 2012 12:37PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 7 Oct 2012 5:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions