Search for content in message boards

Kelly, Maddenstown, Newtown, Kilboggan, Suncroft Parrish, County Kildare

Replies: 3

Re: Kelly, Maddenstown, Newtown, Kilboggan, Suncroft Parrish, County Kildare

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 9:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Feb 2013 9:53PM GMT
Hello cogansp1,

I’m not a descendant of the Kelly and Dillon families, nor have I been researching these families in the past, but I found the marriage index for William Kelly and Eliza Dillon at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Kildare. The index shows the marriage took place in the Suncroft Catholic Church in 1841.

Please see below:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) William 1841 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Kildare
Surname: Kelly
First Name: William
Spouse's Surname: Dillon
Spouse's First Name: Eliza
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1841

Parish/District: Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)
____

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the marriage index for William Kelly and Eliza Dillon that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain a transcription of the marriage from the IFHF. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcriptions. The IFHF website will have more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions.

The marriage transcription may give you additional information not found in the index, such as the exact date of the marriage, and may also include the name or names of the witnesses to the marriage, and the name of the priest who married them.

I don’t believe the marriage transcription will include the names of the fathers of John and Eliza, though there is the possibility that it may, as I’ve seen church marriages that do include the names of the parents of the groom and bride.

Next I found the IFHF baptism indexes for six children of William Kelly and Betty Dillon. All six children were baptized in the Suncoft Catholic Church. These children and their years of baptism are: John (1841); Andrew (1847); Catherine (1850); William and Pat (1855); and Bridget (1857).

It would appear that William and Betty had twins William and Patrick in 1857, but it’s also possible that one child was born at the beginning of 1857 and one toward the end of 1857. You would have to order the baptism transcriptions for both children to find out if they were twins or not, by their date or dates of birth.

Also concerning Pat, the IFHF search engine would not accept his full name of Patrick, but would only accept the abbreviated form of Pat. If you type in his full name of Patrick in the First Name box, the IFHF search engine will reject the results.

The baptism indexes follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) John 1841 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Kildare
First Name: John
Father's Surname: Kelly
Father's First Name: William
Mother's Surname: Dillon
Mother's First Name: Betty

Parish/District: SUNCROFT (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Andrew 1847 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Andrew

Year: 1847

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Catherine 1850 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Catherine

Year: 1850

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) William 1855 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Year: 1855

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Pat 1855 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Pat

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Bridget 1857 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Bridget

Year: 1857

____

The baptism transcriptions may include additional information such as the exact dates of baptism for each child, and the names of the godparents or sponsors of each child. The indexes may also include the name or names of the parish priest(s) who baptized the children.

You can order all six baptism transcriptions individually, or you can save time and effort by ordering them from one index. To do this type information into the search engine form just as you see it below. Do not include the first names of any of the children. In the First Name box use the % sign, as this acts as a wild card. Also do not include a year for the baptisms. The search engine form will look like this:

6 matches for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) % Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: %

Year:

____

I thought it highly probable that your Christopher Kelly was baptized in the Suncroft Catholic Church, but wasn’t sure why I couldn’t find him in the indexes, unless the entry where his baptism had been recorded was faded or damaged in some manner, and couldn’t be transcribed by the IFHF staff. I found at the IFHF link for Online Sources and List of Sources, that the Suncroft baptisms and marriages cover a 94 year period, from 1805-1899, and deaths and burials from 1892-1899. There is no indication there is a gap in the records, though as you can see in the indexes above, there is a six year difference between the baptism of John in 1841 and the baptism of Andrew in 1847. Baptisms for children from 1845 to 1850-1851, would have taken place during the Great Famine. I suspect that William and Betty may have had more children than are found in the baptism indexes between 1841 and 1847.

What I did at this point was to go back to basic research and just looked to see if any children named Christopher Kelly were baptized in the Suncroft Catholic Church between 1840 and 1850. I didn’t include the names of his parents in the initial search, except for the last name of his father. I found a baptism index for a Christopher Kelly recorded in the Suncroft Catholic Church for the 1844. This is one of the years for his birth you had mentioned in your post to the Ancestry.com message boards.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Christopher 1844 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Christopher
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1844

____

I the wanted to see if perhaps Christopher’s father was named William Kelly, and added this name to the search engine, which accepted William as his father’s first name:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Christopher 1844 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

I then typed in the maiden name Dillon for Christopher’s mother, but the search engine didn’t accept this. I then added the name Dennel and variants for the maiden name of Christopher’s mother, but the search engine also rejected this. Next I wanted to see if the Search engine accepted Elizabeth or Eliza for Christopher’s mother’s first name, but again without results. I then tried the first name Betty, which is the first name for the mother in all the Kelly baptism indexes seen earlier. The search engine accepted Betty:

Mother's Surname:

____

I knew I was on to something with this index now and had to try a different approach in finding out what the search engine wanted for Betty’s maiden surname. In the past, when I couldn’t find the first name for a person in an IFHF index, I would try the initials NK or N.K.. for Not Known. I would also try typing in NR, or N.R., for Not Recorded. None of these options worked in this case however. I then tried one other thing. This was to see if the search engine would accept Unknown for Betty’s maiden name. I was surprised when it did. I don’t know why Betty’s maiden name wasn’t included in the baptism, nor do I know if this is an error in transcription, or if her maiden name couldn’t be deciphered by the IFHF staff, or if the parish priest didn’t add it to the baptism register.

In any event the index is below. The index did not accept the initial J for the abbreviation of Christopher’s middle name:

Mother's Surname: Unknown

____

I believe the index above may refer to the Christopher Kelly you are looking for. He may be your great great grandfather.

I then added the baptism index for Christopher Kelly to the other six baptism indexes for the Kelly children noted earlier, so that you could now view the full chronological order of all the baptism indexes that were found concerning the Kelly children:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) John 1841 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: John

____

Mother's Surname: Unknown

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Andrew 1847 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Andrew

Year: 1847

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Catherine 1850 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Year: 1850

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) William 1855 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Pat 1855 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Bridget 1857 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Bridget

Year: 1857

____

GRIFFITHS VALUATION

Through additional research I found the person who may be your William Kelly in an Irish Property Tax record known as Griffiths Valuation. Griffiths Valuation was enumerated in the 32 counties of Ireland between 1847 and 1864. The valuation for Suncroft, Civil Parish of Carn, was completed by 1853.

Unlike a census, Griffiths Valuation did not enumerate family members. Those named in the valuation were the people who leased property. Each person who leased property was called an “Occupier.” The other person listed in Griffiths Valuation was the person who owned the property being leased, or who worked as the middleman for the owner of the property. This person was called the “Immediate Lessor.”

You can access Griffiths Valuation transcriptions and original copies for free at the askaboutireland website link at: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Below I’ve transcribed the Griffiths Valuation entry for William Kelly:

No. and Letters of Reference to Map: 1f
Civil Parish: Carn
Townland: Common, South
Occupier: William Kelly
Immediate Lessor: Mary Boylan
Description of Tenement: House
Area of Land: - Acres: - Roods: - Perches:
Rateable Annual Valuation of Land: -
Rateable Annual Valuation of Buildings: 5 Shillings
Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property: Pounds, 5 Shillings
____

Griffiths Valuation shows that William Kelly leased a house with no land from the Immediate Lessor named Mary Boylan in the townland of Common South, Civil Parish of Carn. The house was valued at 5 shillings. William would not have had to pay a tax for this leasehold, as occupiers were exempt from the tax if the total value of their holding was less than 5 Pounds. I suspect Common, South was actually a small section of Suncroft. I’ll have more on this later.

The map reference number at the top of the Griffiths Valuation entry refers to an Ordnance Survey Map from this time period showing where William Kelly’s leasehold was situated in Common, South. You can view this map from a link at the index for the Griffiths Valuation entry for William Kelly. You’ll have to enlarge the map to find Common South, which is located just above the Suncroft National School House on the map. The map gets more blurry as you enlarge it. While I found that Common South is labeled number 1 on the map, I couldn’t find the 1f designation where William Kelly’s house was situated on the map, but it would have been very close to the Catholic Church. If you go back to the Griffiths Valuation page for William Kelly in Common, South, you’ll see that the Catholic Church is located at map reference number 1c.

The absence of any appreciable amount of land as part of the lease indicates that William Kelly may not have been a farmer. But perhaps a tradesman or shopkeeper of some type.

Also named as leasing property in Common, South is a James Dillon. He may have been related to Betty. There is also that possibility however, that he wasn’t related at all. I’ve also transcribed the Griffiths Valuation entry for James Dillon, showing that his property was a freehold. His property includes a house and small garden valued at 10 Shillings. His freehold is located at map reference number 1i:

No. and Letters of Reference to Map: 1i
Civil Parish: Carn
Townland: Common, South
Occupier: James Dillon
Immediate Lessor: Free
Description of Tenement: House and sm. garden
Area of Land: - Acres: - Roods: - Perches:
Rateable Annual Valuation of Land: -
Rateable Annual Valuation of Buildings: 10 Shillings
Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property: 10 Shillings
____

To view a modern Google Map of Suncroft, go to: http://tinyurl.com/bsx469y

Once at the map enlarge it slightly so that the landmarks of the town are delineated more clearly. These landmarks include Weighbridge House, Suncroft Lodge, Askinraw Lane, St. Brigid’s Church, School Lane, etc. In the left margin of the page off the map, you’ll see a prompt highlighted in blue for “Directions.” Click on Directions and a drop-down box labeled A will appear. In the box type in Common South, Kildare. Then click on “Get Directions.” The next map that appears shows the distance from the approximate center of Suncroft to Common South, located in School Lane. This area is situated to the left of St. Brigid’s Church. Left-click on the letter A and a thumbnail image of Common South will appear. Click on the image and you’ll be able to take a virtual tour of this area of Suncroft. The Kellys would have lived somewhere in this section of the town.

You can also take a virtual tour of the center of Suncroft by going back to the first map you accessed and clicking on the letter A pointing at the center of the town, just above Weighbridge House. You can go past St. Brigid’s Church. If this church had been standing in the 1840s and 1850, it would the church where William and Betty were married and where their children were baptized.

Going back to the IFHF website I next wanted to see if I could find the baptism indexes for William Kelly and Eliza/Elizabeth/Betty Dillon in the Suncroft Catholic Church registers. As noted earlier baptism for the Suncroft Catholic Church commence in the year 1805. Having been married in 1841 I figured William and Betty would have been born circa 1821, plus or minus 5 years, and so I looked for their baptism indexes for the years 1816-1826.

I didn’t find a baptism index for William Kelly in the Suncroft Catholic Church, but did locate a Suncroft Catholic Church baptism index for a Betty Dillon for the year 1819. It took a while to find the first name of her father, but eventually the IFHF search engine accepted Maurice as his first name. For Betty’s mother the search engine accepted Kitty.

1 match for the search criteria: Dillon (plus variants) Betty 1819 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Surname: Dillon
First Name: Betty
Father's Surname: Dillon
Father's First Name: Maurice
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Kitty

Year: 1819

____

I didn’t find Kitty’s maiden name. You would have to order the baptism transcription to learn what her maiden name was.

I then located the IFHF marriage index for Maurice Dillon and Kitty. Their marriage was recorded in the Suncroft Catholic Church in 1813:

1 match for the search criteria: Dillon (plus variants) Maurice 1813 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Surname: Dillon
First Name: Maurice
Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name: Kitty
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1813

____

You would have to order a transcription of the marriage to see what Kitty’s maiden name was, and then compare her maiden name in the marriage transcription, with the maiden name of Betty’s mother in Betty’s baptism transcription.

The baptism index for Betty Dillon and the marriage index for Maurice Dillon and Kitty may pertain to your Dillons, though I can’t be entirely sure of that just from these indexes alone. You would need to know the names of Betty’s parents to confirm whether these indexes are for your Dillon line.

Next I wanted to see if I could find any Kellys or Dillons in the 1901 census of Ireland still living in Suncroft, Kildare.

You can access the 1901 and 1911 census of Ireland at the National Archives of Ireland link at: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

I only found one person named Kelly, but no Dillons in Suncroft in the 1901 enumeration. This Kelly is 12 year old Mary, who is shown to be the niece of 49 year old farmer, Patrick Fox, living in an address of House No. 3, Suncroft, District Enumeration Division (DED) of Ballysax. Mary Kelly is shown to be a “scholar,” that is, a student, who was born in County Kildare.

Patrick Fox’s wife is 47 year old housekeeper Ann Fox, also born in County Kildare. The other person in the household is a 38 year old servant named Michael McDonald, a widower born in County Kildare. All in the household could read and write, and all were Roman Catholic:

1901 census of Ireland

Residents of a house 3 in Suncroft (Ballysax, Kildare)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language
Marital Status Specified Illnesses

Fox Patrick 49 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Kildare Farmer Read and write Married
Fox Anne 47 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Kildare House Keeper Read and write Married
McDonald Michael 38 Male Servant Roman Catholic Co Kildare Read and write Widower
Kelly Mary 12 Female Niece Roman Catholic Co Kildare Scholar Read and write Not Married
____

You can view a copy of the original 1901 census of the Fox household at the National Archives of Ireland link at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000908107/

In the 1901 census Mary Kelly is shown to be 12 years old, placing her birth circa 1889. The 1901 census counted every member of a household on the evening of 31 March. Ages in the census are from the previous birthday, not the birthday coming up. This means that if Mary had been born in a month after March, she would have turned 13 in 1901, which means she could have been born in 1888 rather than 1889, that is, if the census had been accurate about her age.

Mary Kelly’s father, of course, would have been a Kelly. But, as Mary was living in the household of the Fox family, and was listed as a niece, I wondered if her mother’s maiden name was Fox. Perhaps her mother was Patrick Fox’s sister

To find out I again accessed the IFHF website for County Kildare, and looked for the birth or baptism index for a Mary Kelly recorded in Suncroft in 1888 or 1889. I found one index showing a Mary Kelly’s baptism recorded in the Suncroft Catholic Church in 1888. These indexes do not automatically provide you with the names of a child’s parents. You either have to know who the parents were, or find out who they were through additional research. The other two options are to guess what the first names of the parents were, or to order a transcription of the record to find out who they were.

Below is the baptism index for Mary Kelly, without the first name of her father, or first and maiden names of her mother:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Mary 1888 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Mary
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1888

____

I next wanted to see if I could guess the first name of Mary’s father. I went through common Irish Christian names such as Patrick, John, James, Michael, Thomas, etc. The IFHF search engine accepted Patrick as Mary’s father’s first name:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Mary 1888 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Father's First Name: Patrick
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

Next, I wanted to see if Mary’s mother’s maiden name was Fox. The IFHF search engine accepted Fox as her mother’s maiden surname, as I thought it may have been after viewing the 1901 census:

Mother's Surname: Fox
Mother's First Name:

____

Now all that was left to do was see if I could guess what Mary’s mother’s first name was. After trying a few names the IFHF search engine accepted Anne:

Mother's First Name: Anne

____

Thus, circumstantial evidence shows that the Mary Kelly in the 1901 census was the daughter of Patrick Kelly and Anne Fox.

The next search involved looking for the marriage index for Patrick Kelly and Anne Fox. The IFHF search engine did not accept the spelling “Patrick” as the first name of the person who married Anne Fox. I finally figured out for a second time that the search engine wanted the abbreviated spelling of Pat as the first name for the groom.

The index below shows that Pat Kelly and Anne Fox were married in the Suncroft Catholic Church in 1881:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Pat 1881 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Spouse's Surname: Fox
Spouse's First Name: Anne
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1881

____

I now wanted to see if I could find the civil marriage index for Patrick Kelly and Ann Fox. By way of explanation, civil registration began in Ireland in 1845 when the government began to record Protestant marriages only. Civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths for all religious denomination didn’t begin in Ireland until 1864. This means there should be a civil marriage record for Patrick and Anne. To find out if there is, I needed first to locate their civil marriage index, which was not uncovered at the IFHF. To see if I could locate the marriage index I went to the Ancestry.com website.

I found the civil marriage index for Patrick Kelly and Ann Fox recorded in the Naas (Kildare) Registration District for the December quarter of 1881. The December quarter includes the months of October, November, and December. The index below also shows three other couples whose marriages were recorded in the Naas Registration District for the December quarter of 1881. The names in the index are listed alphabetically by last name, not ranked by marriage partners:

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958

Name Registration Date Registration district

James Connor Oct-Nov-Dec 1881 Naas

Margaret Duke Oct-Nov-Dec 1881 Naas

Rose Early Oct-Nov-Dec 1881 Naas

Anne Fox Oct-Nov-Dec 1881 Naas

Richard Gibson Oct-Nov-Dec 1881 Naas

Brigid Howard Oct-Nov-Dec 1881 Naas

Eliza Hughes Oct-Nov-Dec 1881 Naas

Patrick Kelly Oct-Nov-Dec 1881 Naas

John Scully Oct-Nov-Dec 1881 Naas

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data:
“Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845–1958,” Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah. General Register Office. "Quarterly Returns of Births in Ireland with Index to Births." Belfast, Ireland.
____

You can order the full marriage record for Patrick Kelly and Anne Fox from the General Register Office (GRO) in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon. For information about ordering civil birth, marriage, and death records, to download application forms, and the cost for records, go to the GRO website at: www.groireland.ie/

Civil marriage records from this time period traditionally included the exact date of marriage, addresses of the groom and bride, their age when they married, occupation of the groom, and the names and occupations of the fathers of the groom and bride. If you order the marriage record from the GRO, see if Patrick’s father is listed as William. If so, then the Patrick Kelly in the marriage record may be your Christopher’s brother. As you saw earlier, Patrick was baptized in the Suncroft Catholic Church in 1855. If he married in 1881 he would have been 26 years old.

I next wanted to see if I could find the baptism indexes for more children of Patrick Kelly and Anne Fox. I located nine more, showing that these children too were baptized in the Suncroft Catholic Church. The children’s first names were all arrived at through guesswork.

The children are Elizabeth (1882); Patrick (1883); Bridgit (1884); Anne (1886); Anne (1890); Margaret (1892); Catherine (1894); Agnes (1895); and Michael (1897). You’ll notice there are two baptisms for Anne Kelly. This indicates that the first-born Anne had unfortunately died young.

Concerning the baptism indexes the IFHF search engine would only accept the first name Pat as the father for the baptisms of Elizabeth (1882); Patrick (1883); Anne (1890); and Michael (1897). If you were to spell the father’s full name, Patrick, the search engine will reject your search results.

I’ve included the 1888 index once again for Mary Kelly so that you can see the full chronology of the baptisms for all 10 children:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Elizabeth 1882 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Elizabeth
Father's First Name: Pat

Year: 1882

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Patrick 1883 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Patrick

Year: 1883

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Bridgit 1884 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Bridgit

Year: 1884

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Anne 1886 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Anne

Year: 1886

____

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Anne 1890 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Anne

Year: 1890

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Margaret 1892 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Margaret

Year: 1892

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Catherine 1894 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

Year: 1894

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Agnes 1895 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Agnes

Year: 1895

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Michael 1897 Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: Michael

Year: 1897

____

If you would like to order all 10 baptism transcriptions for the Kelly children, you can do so from one index. To do this access the index just as you see it below, using the % sign as a wild card for the first names of the children. For the first name of the father use the spelling Pat (Not Patrick), as the search engine will accept Pat for every baptism index. Also, do not include dates of baptism:

10 matches for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) % Parish: SUNCROFT (RC)

First Name: %

Year:

____

I then wanted to see if I could locate Patrick and Anne Kelly and their children in the 1901 census of Ireland. I looked for them in Suncroft, but didn’t find them. I believe however, that I found the Kellys living in an address of House No. 8, Newtown, Kilrush, Kildare. The census shows that 38 year old Anne is the head of the family and a widow. She is shown to be a Roman Catholic and a farmer who was born in County Kildare and who could read and write. There are 7 children in the household with her, all born in County Kildare. These are 18 year old Lizzie; 17 year old car driver, Patrick; 10 year old Annie; 7 year old Maggie; 7 year old Catherine; 5 year old Agnes; and 3 year old Michael. All the children from Patrick to Agnes are shown to be scholars. Also in the household is a servant, 22 year old William Savage, who is listed as an agricultural labourer born in County Kildare. The census shows he could not read and that he was not married.

Anne’s daughter Mary, baptized in 1888, would not be in the household as she was residing with Patrick and Anne Fox in Suncroft.

The 1901 census transcription below is from the National Archives of Ireland website:

1901 Census of Ireland

Residents of a house 8 in Newtown (Kilrush, Kildare)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language

Kelly Anne 38 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Kildare Farmer Read and write Widow
Kelly Lizzie 18 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Kildare Read and write Not Married
Kelly Patrick 17 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kildare Car Driver Read and write Not Married
Kelly Annie 10 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Kildare Scholar Read and write Not Married
Kelly Maggie 7 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Kildare Scholar Read and write Not Married
Kelly Catherine 7 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Kildare Scholar Read and write Not Married
Kelly Agnes 5 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Kildare Scholar Read and write Not Married
Kelly Michael 3 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kildare Read Not Married
Savage William 22 Male Servant Roman Catholic Co Kildare Agr Labourer Cannot read Not Married
____

You can view a copy of the original 1901 census for Anne Kelly and her family at the National Archives link at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000899336/

I next found what I believe may be the family of Anne Kelly in the 1911 census. Only in this enumeration 38 year old widow Anne and four of her children are living in an address of House Number 26, Common, North, Ballysax West, County Kildare. In the Google Map shown earlier you can find Common North just above and to the left of Suncroft. Like Common South I believe that Common North is a section or what we would today call a suburb of Suncroft.

The 1911 census shows that Anne Kelly is a farmer who could read and write and speak English. Her occupation is listed as farmer. The oldest child in the household is 27 year old farmer, Patrick, followed by 19 year old Maggie who was employed as a dressmaker. She is followed by 13 year old Michael and then 10 year old James. I hadn’t seen James in the 1901 census. He may have been born after the 1901 census was taken, and also after his father had died.

The 1911 census also shows that all in the family were born in County Kildare and all were Roman Catholic.

The census transcription for the family of Anne Kelly is below:

1911 census of Ireland

Residents of a house 26 in Common, North (Ballysax, West, Kildare)

Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Kelly Anne 48 Female Head of Family R Catholic Co Kildare Farmer Read and write English Widow
Kelly Patrick 27 Male Son R Catholic Co Kildare Farmer Read and write English Single
Kelly Maggie 19 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Kildare Dressmaker Read and write English Single
Kelly Michael 13 Male Son R Catholic Co Kildare Scholar Read and write English Single
Kelly James 10 Male Son R Catholic Co Kildare Scholar Read and write
____

You can view a copy of the original 1911 census for Anne Kelly and her children at the National Archives of Ireland link at: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002576462/

After seeing that Anne Kelly and her children were living in Common North, I then wanted to see if I could find any other Kellys in Common North or Common South in the 1901 and 1911 census returns. I found another family in both enumerations, also headed by another widow named Anne Kelly. The address of this Kelly family in the 1901 census is House Number 3, Common North, DED of Ballysax.

The widow Anne Kelly is shown to be 55 years old and born in County Westmeath. She is also listed as a farmer and a Catholic who could read and write. The first, but not oldest child listed under Anne in the household is 21 year old James Kelly, born in County Kildare. He was employed as a draper’s assistant. He could read and write, as could his older brother, 28 year old Christopher, who was a labourer on a farm. Also in the household is a servant/farm labourer, 15 year old Charles Hogan, born in County Kildare. The two Kelly sons and Charles Hogan are shown to be single, and to be able to read and write:

Residents of a house 3 in Common North (Ballysax, Kildare)

1901 census of Ireland

Residents of a house 3 in Common North (Ballysax, Kildare)

Kelly Anne 55 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Westmeath Farmer Read and write Widow
Kelly James 21 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kildare Draper's Assistant Read and write Not Married
Kelly Christopher 28 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Kildare Labourer Farm Read and write Not Married
Hogan Charles 15 Male Servant Roman Catholic Co Kildare Labourer Farm Read and write Not Married
____

A copy of the 1901 census for Anne Kelly and her children can be found at the National Archives link at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000908068/

I also fund what appears to be the same Kelly family in the 1911 census residing in an address of House Number 7 in Common North, Ballysax. In this enumeration however Anne Kelly is shown to be a 74 year old widow whose occupation is “Dealer in Drapery Goods.” The 1901 census had shown that she was a 48 year old farmer. This demonstrates that ages in census returns did not always match up from one 10 year period to another. In the 1901 census, Anne’s 21 year old son James was employed as a draper’s assistant. Both enumerations however show that Anne was born in County Westmeath.

Anne’s son James is not in the 1911 census, but her 43 year old son Christopher is. In the 1901 census Christopher was listed as being 28 years old and employed as a farm labourer. The 1911 census shows he is employed as a general labourer. Also in the household in the 1911 census are two of Anne’s grandsons, 11 year old Marin Kelly and 9 year old Peter Kelly, both born in County Kildare.

The 1911 census transcription follows:

1911 census of Ireland

Residents of a house 7 in Common, North (Ballysax, West, Kildare)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Kelly Ann 74 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic West Meath Dealer in Drapery Goods Read and write English Widow
Kelly Christopher 43 Male Son Roman Catholic Kildare General Labourer Read and write English Single
Kelly Martin 11 Male Grand Son Roman Catholic Kildare Scholar Read and write English Single
Kelly Peter 9 Male Grand Son Roman Catholic Kildare Scholar Read and write English Single
____

A copy of the 1911 census for the family of Anne Kelly can be found at the National Archives link at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002576426/

I’m not sure if this Kelly family had been related to the William and Betty Dillon Kelly family.

CONCLUSION

Before ordering any transcriptions of interest from the IFHF I recommend that you access the same indexes that I did, to see if you think the information I found is specific to the Kelly and Dillon families you are looking for.

Best of Luck,

Dave Boylan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cogansp1 7 Feb 2013 4:37PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 15 Feb 2013 4:18AM GMT 
cogansp1 15 Feb 2013 12:07PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 15 Feb 2013 12:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic