Search for content in message boards

Callan Family Descendants

Replies: 3

Re: Callan Family Descendants

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 4:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Martin,

I’m not a descendant, but I located the Catholic Church marriage index for Nicholas Callan and “Maggie” Cross at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Kildare. The index shows that Nicholas and Maggie were married in the Allen Roman Catholic Church in 1880.

Please see below:

1 match for the search criteria: Callan (plus variants) Nicholas 1880 Parish: ALLEN (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Kildare
Surname: Callan
First Name: Nicholas
Spouse's Surname: Cross
Spouse's First Name: Maggie
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1880

Parish/District: Parish: ALLEN (RC)
____

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the marriage index for Nicholas and Maggie that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain a transcription of the record from the IFHF. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcription. The IFHF website has more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=78

One big advantage of ordering records from the IFHF is that as soon as credit card information is processed, the record transcription is sent to your computer, so that you don’t have to wait very long to view it.

For more information about Allen, Kildare, go to the following links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen,_County_Kildare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_of_Allen

http://www.allenparish.ie/local-history/history-of-allen
____

To see Allen, Kildare on a Google Map, go to: http://tinyurl.com/cthwtea

Once at the map you’ll see the letter A pointing to Allen. Just above and to the right of the letter A, you’ll see the label for Allen Court. Just above Allen Court you’ll see the location for the Church of the Most Holy Trinity. This would be the Catholic Church where Nicholas Callan and Maggie (Margaret) Cross would have been married.

In the upper left corner of the map you’ll see the Zoom-in/Zoom-out gage. Just above the gage you’ll notice a little yellow peg-man. Grab the peg-man with your mouse and pointer and drag him over to, and just above the Church of the Most Holy Trinity, then let go of him. After letting go you’ll be able to navigate to the church down the R415 secondary road. The church is facing sideways to the road. To the right of the church is the parking lot. To the left of the church is the cemetery. If Nicholas Callan and Margaret Cross had family who lived in the parish for any considerable amount of time, they may have relatives buried in the church cemetery. From the church you’ll be able to navigate to the center of the little town of Allen, and you can drive by The Leap Inn Bar & Snug, which also has petrol pumps outside selling Texaco. You’ll also see that at the time of this Google drive-by in 2009, The Leap Inn was for sale. I believe your Callan and Cross ancestors in the 1800s would have been familiar with the building presently called The Leap Inn, minus the petrol pumps of course.

A little earlier you saw the church marriage index for Nicholas Callan and Maggie Cross. I also found their individual civil registration marriage indexes. The indexes are from the Latter Day Saints (LDS free website at: https://www.familysearch.org/search

The indexes show the marriage of Nicholas Callan and Margaret Cross was recorded in the Naas Registration District for the December quarter of 1880. The December quarter includes the months of October, November, and December.

The Naas Registration District would have encompassed several towns in County Kildare, including Allen. Civil registration was first conducted in Ireland in 1845 when the government began to record only Protestant marriages. Civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths for all religious denomination commenced in Ireland in 1864.

The LDS marriage indexes for Nicholas and Catherine are below:

Nicholas Callan, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"

Name: Nicholas Callan
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: Oct - Dec 1880
Event Place: Naas, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1880
Registration District: Naas
Mother's Maiden Name:
Volume Number: 2
Page Number: 750
GS Film number: 101253
Digital Folder Number: 004179386
Image Number: 00588

Collection: Nicholas Callan, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYQC-1ZQ

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYQC-1ZQ : accessed 21 Apr 2013), Nicholas Callan, 1880; citing vol. 2, p. 750, General
Registry, Custom House, Dublin, Ireland; FHL microfilm 101253.

AND

Margaret Cross, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"

Name: Margaret Cross
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: Oct - Dec 1880
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1880
Mother's Maiden Name:
Page Number: 750
GS Film number: 101253
Digital Folder Number: 004179386
Image Number: 00591

Collection: Margaret Cross, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYQC-P6Y

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYQC-P6Y : accessed 21 Apr 2013), Margaret Cross, 1880; citing vol. 2, p. 750, General
Registry, Custom House, Dublin, Ireland; FHL microfilm 101253.
____

You can order a copy of the marriage cert from the General Register Office (GRO) in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon. For information about ordering records, costs involved and to download application forms, go to the GRO website at: www.groireland.ie/

Next, based mainly on the information you supplied to the Ancestry.com message board for County Kildare, as well as the 1901 and 1911 census returns, I uncovered the IFHF baptism indexes for six children of Nicholas Callan and Margaret Cross. All six baptisms were recorded in the Naas, Kildare, Catholic Church.

The names and dates of baptism for the Callan children are: Patrick (1881); Thomas (1883); Jane (1884); Ann (1891); James (1894); and Michael (1897). You hadn’t mentioned James or Michael in your post to Ancestry.com, which is understandable, as these children are not named in the 1901 or 1911 census enumerations with their parents.

And as you can see I didn’t uncover baptism indexes for Catherine (Kathleen) Callan, or William Joseph Callan..

You’ll see in the chronology of the indexes above a gap of seven years between the baptism of Jane in 1884 and the baptism of Ann in 1891. It may be that Nicholas and Margaret had more children during this seven year time period, but that the Naas Catholic Church baptism registers for the same time period were difficult to read, faded, or too damaged to be indexed and transcribed by the IFHF staff. But that’s only a guess.

The indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Callan Patrick 1881 Parish: NAAS (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Kildare
First Name: Patrick
Father's Surname: Callan
Father's First Name: Nicholas
Mother's Surname: Cross
Mother's First Name: Margaret

Year: 1881

Parish/District: NAAS (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Callan Thomas 1883 Parish: NAAS (RC)

First Name: Thomas

Year: 1883

____

1 match for the search criteria: Callan Jane 1884 Parish: NAAS (RC)

First Name: Jane

Year: 1884

____

1 match for the search criteria: Callan Ann 1891 Parish: NAAS (RC)

First Name: Ann

Year: 1891

____

1 match for the search criteria: Callan James 1894 Parish: NAAS (RC)

First Name: James

Year: 1894

____

1 match for the search criteria: Callan Michael 1897 Parish: NAAS (RC)

First Name: Michael

Year: 1897

____

You can order the Naas Catholic Church baptism indexes for the Callan children individually, or you can order them from one index. To order from one index do not include the first names of any of the children. In place of the first names in the search engine, use the % sign as a wild card. Also, do not include any year or years of baptism. The index will look like this:

6 matches for the search criteria: Callan (plus variants) % Parish: NAAS (RC)

First Name: %

Year:

____

At this point in the research I went back to the LDS website to see if I could uncover any more information about the Callan children. While at the LDS website I came across the civil birth index for William Joseph Callan. The index shows his birth recorded in the Naas Registration District for the September quarter of 1897. But this birth index presents a puzzle, as the IFHF index for Michael seen earlier, shows that he was baptized in 1897. Catholic children were baptized as soon as possible after they were born, because if they died before being christened, it was thought they would not enter heaven.

In addition, I also looked for Michael’s Civil Registration birth index at the LDS website as well as at the Ancestry.com website, but didn’t find it. It doesn’t appear that William Joseph and Michael were twins, but I suppose that’s possible. It’s also possible that Michael’s birth wasn’t recorded by the Naas, Kildare registrar. It was up to one of the parents to report the birth or births of their children to the local registrar. It may that Nicholas or Margaret didn’t report the birth of Michael. But what I think may have possibly happened in this instance is that the priest who baptized William Joseph Callan, may have written his name as Michael, rather than William or William Joseph. Or maybe the child’s full name was William Michael Joseph Callan, or Michael William Joseph Callan.

The civil registration birth index for William Joseph Callan is below:

William Joseph Callan, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"

Name: William Joseph Callan
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: Jul - Sep 1897
Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1897
Mother's Maiden Name:
Page Number: 769
GS Film number: 101066
Digital Folder Number: 004193980
Image Number: 00504

Collection: William Joseph Callan, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBN2-MW5

Citing this Record

"Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBN2-MW5 : accessed 21 Apr 2013), William Joseph Callan, 1897; citing vol. 2, p. 769, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin, Ireland; FHL microfilm 101066.
____

You can order William Joseph’s birth record from the GRO in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon. If you order the birth record for William, and the IFHF baptism transcription for Michael, compare the two records to see if you may be able to solve the mystery of why in the baptism record the child is named Michael, and in the civil birth record, his name is William Joseph.

Next go back to the Google Map for the town of Allen Kildare at: http://tinyurl.com/cthwtea

Over in the left hand corner of the page in which the map is on, you’ll see a prompt highlighted in blue labeled “Directions.” Click on Directions and in the A box type in Naas, Ireland, then click on “Get Directions.” The next map that appears shows that the distance from Allen (at letter B) to Naas (at letter A), by the shortest route on the R445, is 14.8 kilometers, or 9.2 miles. With your mouse and pointer drag the map to the left until Naas is positioned in the center of your screen. Go to the Zoom-in/Zoom-out counter and enlarge the map until the streets, roads, and landmarks of Naas are more clearly delineated. To the left of the letter A pointing toward Naas, and to the left of the R407 road, you’ll see the label for the Church or Our Lady and St. David. This is the Naas Catholic Church Parish where the Callan children were likely baptized. The main portion of the church dates back to 1827.

Next grab the peg-man with your mouse and pointer and drag him to where the icon of the church is situated on the map and then let go of him. You may have to navigate along the Sallins Road to arrive at the church once you let go of the peg-man. You may have to do a little navigation with the peg-man to arrive in front of the church.

To read more about the Church or Our Lady and St. David, go to the church website at:
http://www.naasparish.ie/2009/10/church-of-our-lady-st-david...

NICHOLAS CALLAN AND MARGARET CROSS

Next I wanted to see if I could find the individual baptism indexes for Nicholas Callan and Margaret Cross at the IFHF website for County Kildare. Indexes do not automatically provide you with the names of a child’s parents. You either have to know what their first names were, or find their names through additional research. The other two options are to guess what their first names were or to go ahead and order the transcription of the baptism to find out what the parents’ first names were.

The same holds true with maiden names in marriages for brides and in baptism indexes for mothers from the IFHF, as the IFHF does not provide the maiden name of the bride in a marriage index or her maiden name in the baptism indexes of her children.

In looking for the baptism indexes for Nicholas and Margaret, I had to guess what the first names of their parents were.
The IFHF search engine would either accept or reject the choice of names I made. For Nicholas Callan, the first guess was an easy one, as he and Margaret had named their first-born son Patrick. This is in keeping with Irish naming patterns where the first-born son is named after his father’s father, while the first-born daughter is named after her mother’s mother. Irish families did not always keep to these naming patterns however, and so the choice of names could be varied.

I found the baptism index for a Nicholas Callan which may pertain to your ancestor Nicholas. The index shows that he was baptized in the Allen Roman Catholic Church in 1854. The search engine however, did not accept Patrick as his father’s first name, nor did it accept any other common Irish male names. But from past experience from using the IFHF website, I knew that the first names of people could be abbreviated in the indexes, which is a reflection of how their first names were recorded in the original baptism or marriage record. In the case of Nicholas’s baptism, I submitted for the approval of the search engine an abbreviation for Patrick. The abbreviation is Patt, without the period at the end of the last t. The search engine accepted Patt as the first name of Nicholas’s father. For the name of his mother, the search engine accepted Jane, which appears to go against Irish naming pattern tradition, as Jane appears to be the name of the first-born daughter of Nicholas and Margaret. Jane’s baptism, if you recall, took place in 1884.

The index below shows that Nicholas Callan’s parents were Patt (Patrick) and Jane Callan. I didn’t try to guess the maiden name of Nicholas’s mother Jane. You will have to order the baptism transcription to find out what her maiden name was:

1 match for the search criteria: Callan Nicholas 1854 Parish: ALLEN (RC)

First Name: Nicholas
Father's First Name: Patt
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Jane

Year: 1854

Parish/District: ALLEN (RC)
____

I also found the baptism index for a Margaret Cross recorded in the Allen Catholic Church in the year 1855. The search engine accepted Thomas for the first name of her father, and Ann as the first name of her mother. Nicholas and Margaret named one of their daughters Ann. This was the daughter baptized in the Callan Catholic Church in 1891.

The baptism index for Margaret Cross follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Cross (plus variants) Margaret 1855 Parish: ALLEN (RC)

Surname: Cross
First Name: Margaret
Father's Surname: Cross
Father's First Name: Thomas
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Anne

Year: 1855

Parish/District: ALLEN (RC)
___

You would have to order the baptism transcription for Margaret’s baptism to find out the maiden name of her mother Anne.

Next I wanted to see if I could find the IFHF marriage index for Nicholas Callan’s parents, Patrick/Patt Callan and Jane. According to information found at the IFHF, the baptisms and marriages for the Allen Catholic Church in the 19th century are recorded from the year 1820 to 1899. I looked for the marriage index for Patrick and Jane but didn’t find it. Nor did I find it in any other Catholic Parish in County Kildare.

But I did locate what may be the marriage index for Catherine Cross’s parents. The index shows that Thomas Cross and Anne were married in the Allen Catholic Church in 1843:

1 match for the search criteria: Cross Thomas 1843 Parish: ALLEN (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Kildare
Surname: Cross
First Name: Thomas
Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name: Anne
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1843

Parish/District: Parish: ALLEN (RC)
____

Moving ahead in time, I now wanted to see if I could locate the death indexes for Nicholas Callan and Margaret Cross Callan. This search took place at the Latter Day Saints website, which in turn has transcribed over 51 thousand deaths in Ireland from copies held by the GRO in Roscommon Town. I uncovered the LDS death index for a Nicholas Callan, showing that his death was recorded in the Naas Registration District for the December quarter of 1932. His age at death is listed as 75, placing his year of birth circa 1855. The IFHF baptism index above for the Allen, Kildare Catholic Church shows that a Nicholas Callan was baptized in 1854. In many instances years of birth and or baptism for an individual do not always agree exactly with their age at the time of death, and in this case the year of baptism for Nicholas is off by one year with his age at death in 1934. Also the 1911 census shows that Nicholas was 56 years old placing his year of birth circa 1855, again, one year off from the date of baptism for Nicholas Callan in the Allen Catholic Church for 1854.

Based on this information, it is probable that the death index below refers to your Nicholas Callan:

Nicholas Callan, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"

Name: Nicholas Callan
Event Type: Death
Event Date: Oct - Dec 1932
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1932
Birth Year (Estimated): 1855
Mother's Maiden Name:
Page Number: 461
GS Film number: 101739
Digital Folder Number: 004202046
Image Number: 00132

Collection: Nicholas Callan, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FTV5-8MQ

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FTV5-8MQ : accessed 22 Apr 2013), Nicholas Callan, 1932; citing vol. 2, p. 461, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin, Ireland; FHL microfilm 101739.
____

Nicholas’s death record can be ordered from the GRO in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon.

I then found an LDS death index for a Margaret Callan, recorded in the Naas Registration District for the December quarter of 1943. Her age at death in the index is listed as 86, with a birth year of 1857. The Allen baptism index above shows that Margaret was christened in 1855, which is close to the year of her birth recorded in LDS death index. In the 1911 census Margaret’s age is 56, placing her year of birth in the same year as Nicholas, 1855. I believe however, that counting for possible errors for her age in the 1911 census and the 1943 death index, the LDS record below pertains to your ancestor, Margaret Callan:

Margaret Callan, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"

Name: Margaret Callan
Event Type: Death
Event Date: Oct - Dec 1943
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1943
Birth Year (Estimated): 1857
Mother's Maiden Name:
Page Number: 519
GS Film number: 101742
Digital Folder Number: 004202049
Image Number: 00339

Collection: Margaret Callan, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FTL6-N2K

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FTL6-N2K : accessed 22 Apr 2013), Margaret Callan, 1943; citing vol. 2, p. 519, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin, Ireland; FHL microfilm 101742.
____

You can order Margaret Callan’s death record from the GRO in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon.

Best of Luck with your research Martin,

Dave Boylan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Martin Brain 3 Apr 2013 4:52AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 24 Apr 2013 10:13AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 2 Jul 2013 12:47PM GMT 
Martin Brain 5 Jul 2013 10:47AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic