Replies: 27

Thomas Byrne

Eileen Marks (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2001 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thomas Byrne
Hello Patricia,

Thanks for your reply to my e-mail.

Searching for your paternal great-grandfather Thomas Byrne. The surname BYRNE is from the Kildare region and the nearest county to it (Kildare) is Wicklow that is where I would start looking. (I’m in the process of doing just that) Also have you looked at the census for around that time. I’m not too sure though if the census exist for that period (?) If you do look up the census records its best to know which County, Civil Parish, and Poor Law Union. Go to: http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/ look for Placenames will give you a head start.

The BURNS is actually the Scottish. Back in those days not too many people could read nor write. When your great-grandparents migrated their spoken dialect and accents would have seemed strange to someone who is not used to the pronunciation of names so hence the spelling “BURNS”.

You asked me how I came to live in Australia, well to cut a long story short… My husband was born in Sydney, went to London to visit his two young daughters who had gone to live with their mother and stepfather (who is English) in the UK. They then decided the weather in the UK wasn’t to their liking, so they returned to Australia. In the meantime my husband met me and I came out to Australia for a holiday and loved the place. We got married when I went back to the UK. My husband was homesick and missing the girls decided to come back to Australia. I went back twice to visit my family in London (I still have cousins living in Kildare, Ireland) both times in winter and I nearly froze! I had forgotten how cold it got in winter not to mention frost, ice and fog.

We have lived here in Forster (pronounced Foster) in New South Wales for 20 years. Forster would have to be one of the nicest places to call home. It has 13 beaches, 3 lakes lots of Dolphins, Pelicans, and Whales. Very clean place no pollution.

Regards,

Eileen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PGibbens8978 30 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Ellen Byrne 30 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
PGibbens8978 30 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Eileen Marks 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
PGibbens8978 8 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Eileen Marks 10 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
PGibbens8978 10 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Eileen Marks 14 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
oburnes 5 Aug 2001 9:01PM GMT 
joule44 4 Oct 2012 1:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions