Search for content in message boards

Hennessey from Castlecomer, Kilkenny, Ireland

Replies: 11

Re: Hennessey from Castlecomer, Kilkenny, Ireland

Posted: 23 May 2013 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HENNESSY , BRENNAN,KENNY, BERGEN
In reply to your message, my name is Richard John ( Sean ) Hennessy . There is no ( e ) between the s & y. We are the HENNESSY clan from the st. Patrick's day south side Irish parade of which cpt. Bill Hennessy was a co founder, along with his brother Patrick Hennessy . Both of whom were on the original committees. Starting in 1949, marching around 79th st. & Ashland into the 1950's, starting in 1951.There were 11 children in cpt. Bills family growing up in Green's Hill, Kilkenny , Ireland. They were born to Big John Hennessy and Marry Kenny, of Kenny's well fame in Kilkenny city. One of Cpt. Bills brothers was Richard Hennessy my grandfather , who married Mary Bergen, my grandmother. They had five children in Greens Hill, Kilkenney, Ireland. ( Maura,Edward ( Ned ), Anne, John, and Tess. Edward ( Ned ) is my father. A couple of interesting facts concerning Cpt. Bill. He was the first policeman in the city of Chicago to receive the rank of Cpt. When the rank was first officially introduced into the ranks of the Dept. He was the only city of Chicago policeman to actively lead raids on Al CAPONE. As a young Irishman leaving Ireland for the dream of a better life in AMERICA he booked passage on the TITANIC in steerage. With an angel on his shoulder and the luck of the IRISH on his side, he was bumped completely off the ship due to overbooking and the ship being completely full.Cpt. Bill was also reasponsable for the creation of the infamous Kilaloo bird, which for many years was highlighted in the St. Patrick's day parade.Due to the passing of many decades and natural causes, the original famous KILALOO BIRD finally met his fate. With fate and the LUCK OF THE IRISH on my side I was Able to capture a direct decendant of the mythical bird and reintroduced it into the parade in 1986, carying it myself, with pride, for many years.after some time I felt it only fitting to hand down the honor to my daughter, ( MARY HENNESSY - FLAWS ) who now carries it herself, with pride, in the parade every year. Cpt. HENNESSY and the late great mayor of the great city of CHICAGO, RICHARD J DALEY were great friends all the way back to the 1940's. when the then mayoral candidate, running against the then mayor Kennelly approached Cpt. HENNESSY asking for HENNESSY's help in securing the IRISH vote. In return, if elected mayor, DALEY promised to bring Cpt. HENNESSY 's south side St. PATRICK'S DAY PARADE downtown to STATE ST. and highlight it as one of the gems in the crown of the great city of CHICAGO . True to his word ( DALEY ), the STATE ST. PARADE is one of the largest ST. PATRICK'S DAY PARADE in the world. After retiring from the CITY of CHICAGO POLICE DEPT. CPT. HENNESSY became Vice President of HARTIGAN CHEVROLET , later to become ARROW CHEVROLET .until his passing at the age of 91 in 1985. I could go on and on but I'll stop for now, saving the best for last.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KOOLKATDADDY 23 May 2013 10:30PM GMT 
Brentman1 24 Dec 2013 12:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic